Author Topic: How do you kill a dragon?  (Read 19566 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: How do you kill a dragon?
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »
Actually Mongooe game has the power armor also and nukes - it is based upon movies/books/cartoons - a mix of the three and IMO very well done.

The only thing that could have been done better would be using HARP SF instead of d20 as the base.  :)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
Dragons have a variant of the RoCo 2 list "familiar Mastery" that allows them to take humans as familiars.

All the talk about "Dragon Riders" gets the relationship wrong ... the human is the familiar .,.. it's the dragon that's the master :) :) :)

(yes - I spent several weeks creating the list; no - I don't currently have it in a fit state to upload ... it got lost in a computer crash several years ago :( )

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:08 AM »
The only thing that could have been done better would be using
...just about any other system.  :o
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »
The only thing that could have been done better would be using
...just about any other system.  :o
Ahhh... hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
 :laugh3:
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »
In the novels of Geralt of Rivia that I absolutely recommend some villagers kill a dragon cheating, they put a sheep corpse filled of poisonous herbs kept with woods in a fence with the other sheeps, the dragon eats a few including this one. Of course the Dragons are less powerful in this world but part of the tale is that the profesional dragon hunters are not happy with peasants entering their business.

You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
Funny, and a great idea. Even in worlds where dragons are more powerful that could be used to weaken them so that they can be dealt with less dangerously.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 02:55:08 PM »
Of course, I figure with its high level and superhuman senses, a Rolemaster dragon would have Poison Perception skill of 100+, you'd need enough to kill a legion to handle a creature that size, and if it uses the normal RR mechanics (level-based, or even constitution-based) the dragon probably resists. That's if a great drake that can consume "virtually anything" is even ruled subject to poisoning.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
I was thinking there could be a mini-quest to find the best poison to use; one that is only found in the darkest jungles of the southern continent. It is odorless and highly powerful (30+ level, etc..)

Offline Grimburgoth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
I think there are 2 easy ways to kill a dragon in Rolemaster:

1. The arcane goblin in plate. You put a goblin in AT20 and move it somwhere within 50' of the dragon. It will need to cast a elemental arcane spell (Through rune paper perhaps, or channeling) and then fail. If the final result is -25 and down you will get 3 times the penalties on the arcane faillure table AT20 = -90 so thats 270 already. The 301+ result on the arcane faillure table is essentially a nuke within 50' so that will take out the dragon.

2. Use an Illusionist with a phantasm attack. For every option you can double the number of hits you do on a phatasm attack, so 600 hits is very easy to get to.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
Step 1:  Hire a Dragon Slayer  (offer the entire hoard in lieu of upfront payment; if refused then he's probably too wimpy anyways)
Step 2:  Dragon Slayer kills dragon (if the reverse is true repeat step one)
Step 3:  Party ambushes Dragon Slayer after fight and takes all the stuff

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
By the way don't dragons according to the RC Creatures & Treasures (I assume this is the same in other versions of RM) book have an intuitive feeling giving them an inherant ability to discern illusions, ie a resistance roll at there actual level. Resistance based spells are a big risk against a mature dragon. Let me know if your are going to try this I will ensure that I am somewhere else.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
I think there are 2 easy ways to kill a dragon in Rolemaster:

1. The arcane goblin in plate. You put a goblin in AT20 and move it somwhere within 50' of the dragon. It will need to cast a elemental arcane spell (Through rune paper perhaps, or channeling) and then fail. If the final result is -25 and down you will get 3 times the penalties on the arcane faillure table AT20 = -90 so thats 270 already. The 301+ result on the arcane faillure table is essentially a nuke within 50' so that will take out the dragon.

2. Use an Illusionist with a phantasm attack. For every option you can double the number of hits you do on a phatasm attack, so 600 hits is very easy to get to.

Good thinking on #1 there. That might actually work. Still no easy plan, but doable, I guess. Have an idea point!

However, I do not understand #2. How do you attack someone with an illusion? I must have missed something here..
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »
The Strike spell allows you to use an illusion to attack.  However, the "Flyswatter of Doom" approach seems to have been removed in the transition from RM2 to RMSS.  In RM2, when casting an Illusion N spell, you got N options, which include such things as adding senses or doubling the damage from a Feel Mirage.  Thus, with Illusion X, you could 1) add a feel sense and 2) double the damage 9 times (for x512 damage).  In this manner, it's not hard to inflict a few thousand points of damage.  A quick scan of RMSS spells suggests that this abuse has been negated.

Offline Grimburgoth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »
The Strike spell allows you to use an illusion to attack.  However, the "Flyswatter of Doom" approach seems to have been removed in the transition from RM2 to RMSS.  In RM2, when casting an Illusion N spell, you got N options, which include such things as adding senses or doubling the damage from a Feel Mirage.  Thus, with Illusion X, you could 1) add a feel sense and 2) double the damage 9 times (for x512 damage).  In this manner, it's not hard to inflict a few thousand points of damage.  A quick scan of RMSS spells suggests that this abuse has been negated.

I looked it up and it seems it is still possible. In the RMFRP main book on pg206-207 the mutiplier damage for phantasm attackes is described. So its still in there, just not in the spell list description :)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
Heck, if you had the time, cast a bunch of Waiting Phantasms all set to go off when the Phantasm that you're casting now is finished. How many Waiting Phantasms can you stack in the same area? No RR for E.
There's your nuke. ;) 

(This is why I don't use PP X's..)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
You know, I don't think doubling means increasing the damage by a power. I do believe doubling five times would give you x5 damage, not x32 damage. I don't think the designers or anyone else with some common sense would allow a 20th level spell to be an autokill on just about any known creature.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
You know, I don't think doubling means increasing the damage by a power. I do believe doubling five times would give you x5 damage, not x32 damage. I don't think the designers or anyone else with some common sense would allow a 20th level spell to be an autokill on just about any known creature.

I would be inclined to agree; especially since that's how every game, that I know of anyway, handles stacking multipliers.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
Hey, everyone is welcome to play the game their way. If you're having fun, no one can say you're doing it wrong. I don't always follow the RAW, but the rules are good to know.

The RAW do support this rule, as I read it.

"If a Phantasm has been given increased "size" by using options from a Phantasm # spell, the concussion hit damage from an attack is doubled for each option so used (eg if two options are used to increase "size" to a 40' radius, the attack's concussion hit damage is four times normal).

I could be mistaken, yet it does appear that the rules support this. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
This could work against a young drake. However, by the time a Great Drake is mature, it knows pretty much all the common tricks, and with its "inherent ability to discern illusions" and knowledge of Dispelling Ways, it can probably handle this little ploy. You'll also need to actually connect with an attack; which might be difficult if the dragon has already entered combat with you.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 03:09:38 AM »
There are a lot of arguments for and against allowing a 20th level illusionist spell to kill a 1000hp creature. 1) a spell that isn't supposed to support more than five pounds of weight is allowed to kill a dragon in one shot?
2) if a phantasm has all its options allocated to radius increase and only has one "feel" sense, if it is attacked, it loses that feel sense and can't do any damage at all.
3) a dragon with the feeling someone is coming and able to cast spell from essence perceptions (along with innate sensory input) can be prepared with a dispell spell.

any idiot GM who allows a great drake to be slain by an illusion spell deserves to be dragged out by his players and hacked to bits.