Author Topic: How do you kill a dragon?  (Read 19575 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: How do you kill a dragon?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
If a magic dragon slaying weapon is not an item you want to hand out, then

Option #1; an absurd Dragon Lore skill check (with mods for lighting including) could allow a PC to SPOT the weak spot, evectivelly making his blows slaying against that beast.  Still, the slaying column on the SL table is not friendly and a good roll is still required.

Option #2; Like the rush in the hobbit, the PC could describe the location to the attacker.  Either deliver a slaying crit (perhaps with a successful perception mnv) or allow the attacker to add his ranks in perception to the critical roll (greatly increasing chance for an open-end roll).  Take a close look at the normal/magic colums on the SL table and you will see even an open end roll isnt a sure win.

Option #3; crush the party and remind them somethings are to be feared, period.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline CatotheElder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
You kill a drake... if your lucky, with an army and a suprise attack.  One of the most memorable moments of roleplaying was when found this huge treasure trove.  My curious hobbit decided he would climb up to a window instead of play with the treasure and he came face to eyeball of a dragon. 

Although, the time I was running a dragon who was waiting for the party just beyond the door.  The priest was really happy he happened to look into the future.  The escape was a great adventure.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:20 PM »
Tell it Chuck Norris is coming to fight it. It will die of a heart attack.

[ Note: This is the folk tale Chuck Norris, not the real one. Obviously, he's just an actor and would be a laughable opponent for a dragon. But since we're dealing with a fantasy world creature, I think I'm allowed fantasy Chuck Norris. ]
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »

[ Note: This is the folk tale Chuck Norris, not the real one. Obviously, he's just an actor and would be a laughable opponent for a dragon. But since we're dealing with a fantasy world creature, I think I'm allowed fantasy Chuck Norris. ]
A quick side note maybe a Chuck Norris joke thread should be started in the general section?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »

A quick side note maybe a Chuck Norris joke thread should be started in the general section?
MDC

Please don't.  Chuck Norris jokes are already very old and continue a line that wasn't very funny when they first came out.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Please don't.  Chuck Norris jokes are already very old and continue a line that wasn't very funny when they first came out.

In YOUR opinion, of course...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »
How is it done? How do you kill a great drake?

I say: NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT!!!! It's the only way to be sure...   ;D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
.50 caliber machine gun...

What this is RMSS it's cannon... (badum bum)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »
If a magic dragon slaying weapon is not an item you want to hand out, then

Option #1; an absurd Dragon Lore skill check (with mods for lighting including) could allow a PC to SPOT the weak spot, evectivelly making his blows slaying against that beast.  Still, the slaying column on the SL table is not friendly and a good roll is still required.

Option #2; Like the rush in the hobbit, the PC could describe the location to the attacker.  Either deliver a slaying crit (perhaps with a successful perception mnv) or allow the attacker to add his ranks in perception to the critical roll (greatly increasing chance for an open-end roll).  Take a close look at the normal/magic colums on the SL table and you will see even an open end roll isnt a sure win.

Option #3; crush the party and remind them somethings are to be feared, period.

Im not overly happy of the thought of having dragon slaying weapons sold for pennies at every corner, but I guess such items should be avaiable to some degree. I also like Option #1 a lot. Good thinking!

Thus a group of strong warriors, with slaying weapons or a developed dragon lore skill, could manage a drake, I guess, given that the beast doesnt overcome them with his/hers spells. I'll leave that last part to them to figure out, when/if the day comes 8)
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Thus a group of strong warriors, with slaying weapons or a developed dragon lore skill, could manage a drake, I guess, given that the beast doesnt overcome them with his/hers spells. I'll leave that last part to them to figure out, when/if the day comes 8)

Well, it sounds like you've got the Hook, Line and Sinker of the adventure figured out. But, if you'll hear an alt idea..

I was thinking of a multi-generational approach. After they get all ready and everything planned out, they find that it's only going to provoke the dragon into attacking the country side. Or they could leave it alone and it'll sleep for another century or three. Their son's daughter's son's, sons might be ready when the time comes.

Elves may very well leave the thing alone but remember it's location and gently steer humans away by growing a forest around the area, populating it with monsters (so it can eat without ranging) and spinning long epic horror stories about the haunted woods. If they train bards in the area, all the better. With apologies to Robert Frost, Fear makes good fences.

Dwarves might begrudge the dragon, but know that they'll likely need an army (of dwarves) to take "back their mountain of gold". Then they may seethe for a hundred or so years until one charismatic dwarf gets a curly hair in his beard and leads his fellows to add to the dragons collection; as it were.

Humans will hear of the dragons existence, raise an overwhelming army and all die, angering the creature so that it also attacks the Dwarves and Elves.  ;D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
How is it done? How do you kill a great drake?

I say: NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT!!!! It's the only way to be sure...   ;D

Hmm, might be interesting to check Spacemaster to see if it has damage for Nukes, just to be sure if that would actually work...
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »
Hmm, might be interesting to check Spacemaster to see if it has damage for Nukes, just to be sure if that would actually work...

Space Master 2 Armored Assault has nuke stats.
An MK50 nuclear warhead will simply eliminate any target with AT24 or below, in an 8 km radius.
Regular DB does not work, as you need Armor Quality force Shields etc.

If we give the dragon the benefit of doubt and call the armor AT21 (as I can't find rules for attacking AT20), and we assume a spell provides some DB, and the attack roll is very low, then the beast may survive.
Attack roll = 05 + 150 MK bonus – 30 DB = 125 gives 110F.
Attack result of 135-136 gives 800 and an I crit.
Any attack roll above 137 results in complete elimination.

Spacemaster Privateers gives similar results for Apocalyptic weapons. The attack bonus for first blast radius is only +100, and a result of 127 is needed to eliminate a target with the weakest construction armor type (XI).

-Terry

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:20 AM »
afaik being within the blast radius of a nuke in anything aside from vehicles equals a nice return to the character generation screen
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:18 AM »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...   :P
  NFO for the win! :P
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

Space Master 2 Armored Assault has nuke stats.
An MK50 nuclear warhead will simply eliminate any target with AT24 or below, in an 8 km radius.
Regular DB does not work, as you need Armor Quality force Shields etc.

If we give the dragon the benefit of doubt and call the armor AT21 (as I can't find rules for attacking AT20), and we assume a spell provides some DB, and the attack roll is very low, then the beast may survive.
Attack roll = 05 + 150 MK bonus – 30 DB = 125 gives 110F.
Attack result of 135-136 gives 800 and an I crit.
Any attack roll above 137 results in complete elimination.

Spacemaster Privateers gives similar results for Apocalyptic weapons. The attack bonus for first blast radius is only +100, and a result of 127 is needed to eliminate a target with the weakest construction armor type (XI).

-Terry

And if like many GM's Greater Dragons are declared immune to all elemental damage, then some GM's are bound to think a dragon would survive a nuke.

Also, aren't the hits on the MK10+ tables multiplied against non vehicles/constructs/buildings?

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »
If a nuclear bomb would do the trick, most adventurers would have to develop an insane planar lore skill, then travel into a game system/version og RM that carries such weapons, return home and then nuke the poor dragon ;D Tiresome, to say the least..                                                                 
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 07:01:47 AM »

I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
Of course if the Dragon sees it coming and has some decent teleport or long door spells...
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
Alright, alright... taking this "nuke" thing waaay tooo literal..  ::)

Plus, it seems to me that too many people are thinking that just because Smaug had a missing scale / weak spot every dragon in the game has such. I don't think so. That was a Tolkein-thing, not a dragon-thing, I believe.

Personally, I actually think that the first idea by the hero of Dragonslayer (fantastic movie with such a cool looking dragon: Vermithrax) where he tried to collapse the mountain on the beast. Much better idea than getting anywhere near a dragon - even bow range is too close.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
Plus, it seems to me that too many people are thinking that just because Smaug had a missing scale / weak spot every dragon in the game has such. I don't think so. That was a Tolkein-thing, not a dragon-thing, I believe.
Not even that: that was a Smaug thing. I don't recall any mention of Glaurung The Golden or Ancalagon The Black having such a weakness.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.