Author Topic: How do you kill a dragon?  (Read 19568 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How do you kill a dragon?
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
How is it done? How do you kill a great drake?

It could be done with a great deal of luck (lucky critical) or by sheer numbers (raising an army). But suppose you want to plan on killing a dragon, doesnt want to rely on luck alone, and cannot raise an army - then what? What sort of group, at what level, employing what sort of tactics would it take?

The books and legends says something about hitting their weak spots where shells have fallen of, but RM dosent allow for that sort of aiming, does it..?

Considering the defensive and offensive capabilities of these creatures, it seems like a tough endavour all togheter..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:49:57 AM by DangerMan »
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you kill a dragon?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
A bard and an artifact sword did the trick quite well in one of my games. She managed to go unnoticed while he was destroying her party and at the first occasion she sneaked upon him and burried her sword up to the hilt into the dragon’s flesh.

The fight did last 2 rounds, of a 6-man party the bard was the only one standing. Quite brutal.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
We once killed one but it does not count as we were invisible it could not see us per Hobbit inspiration and it was killed by a single stroke into its weak spot as per Hobbit inspiration.

Never again faced one, WAY too dangerous those things.

Wyverns, yes, and they are already quite dangerous enough. Never a dragon!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
Personally I think that the real danger of a dragon are not its physical attack capabilities but rather its the spell the beast can cast. A great fire drake in RM has an OB of 150 for its claws and a DB of 75. This, while coupled with AT 20, 600 hits, three attacks per round and the beast being a super-large creature, is quite impressive, but we had some fighter characters who had such OB and higher DB values even at 10th level. Therefore a group of 3-5 such fighters could deal with such a beast. The problem for us always was that, for a 60th level drake, it was very easy to simply cast a Word of Sleep, Lord Sleep, Suggestion, Master of Kind or the like and put the characters to sleep or dominate them. Unless your group finds a means to protect against such spells it is IMO madness to even try to battle such a beast.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
How do you kill a great drake?
I would just build around it. ;)

In RM, all the planning and tactics in the world might not be enough.
Then again, I remember a weak hobbit thief with a shortbow and magic arrow hitting a dragon with a "00" 1st round..   >:(
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
The problem for us always was that, for a 60th level drake, it was very easy to simply cast a Word of Sleep, Lord Sleep, Suggestion, Master of Kind or the like and put the characters to sleep or dominate them. Unless your group finds a means to protect against such spells it is IMO madness to even try to battle such a beast.

Right! Spirit Matsery is a great spell list! But how othe hell do you protect your self from a 60th leve spell caster?

Im not planning on slaying a dragon my selfe, btw. Im GMing a campaign where dragons play a part in the plot, and Im trying to figure out what part.. 8)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
Right! Spirit Matsery is a great spell list! But how othe hell do you protect your self from a 60th leve spell caster?
I have no clue, and that's why none of our groups ever dared battling a great drake  ;).

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...   :P
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
Artifacts! and prayers.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
Im not planning on slaying a dragon my selfe, btw. Im GMing a campaign where dragons play a part in the plot, and Im trying to figure out what  part.. 8)

Oh... do tell more..
1) Are they political powerhouses, using kingdoms like game pieces and the world as their Risk board?

2) Do they not give a dragon crap about politics but want to make sure a particular set of Spell Lists died out a long time ago (like they were supposed to) when they killed all those who could cast them?

3) Are they in hiding, quietly training soldiers, awaiting the arrival of the "others"? This time, with so many races on one world, the dragons might defeat the "others".

4) Do they invest in real estate and go to sleep for a few hundred years until property values go up?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »
Just go and tell it straight that you intend to kill it. The ridiculousness of such a feat should be enough to have it die laughing.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »
Im not planning on slaying a dragon my selfe, btw. Im GMing a campaign where dragons play a part in the plot, and Im trying to figure out what  part.. 8)

Oh... do tell more..
1) Are they political powerhouses, using kingdoms like game pieces and the world as their Risk board?

2) Do they not give a dragon crap about politics but want to make sure a particular set of Spell Lists died out a long time ago (like they were supposed to) when they killed all those who could cast them?

3) Are they in hiding, quietly training soldiers, awaiting the arrival of the "others"? This time, with so many races on one world, the dragons might defeat the "others".

4) Do they invest in real estate and go to sleep for a few hundred years until property values go up?

Im not gonna tell too much, as I know at least one of the players might read this. But one of your points gave me a great idea, Providence! Thank you - have an idea point!

I also like 4) hihihihi ;D

Sincerly
DM

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:23:12 AM »

In RM2, I would say use Dwarves to attack it. In RM2, the dwarven +40 vs. essence also acted as a penalty to the base attack roll. That makes it tough for even a great drake to land a spell on a high level dwarven character. they seem to have removed that from RMSS/RMFRP though so I would say don't even try.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
In RM2, the dwarven +40 vs. essence also acted as a penalty to the base attack roll. That makes it tough for even a great drake to land a spell on a high level dwarven character. they seem to have removed that from RMSS/RMFRP though so I would say don't even try.
Could you give a reference to this RR bonus also acting as a penalty to the base attack roll? IMO this is at least not in the cure rules and only, if it is not a house rule, an optional rule from one of the companions.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
My players killed some Mature great drake, but never an Old one. Their plans usually involved some way to prevent the dragon from flying above them and to keep it in melee, but otherwise they was pretty straightforward.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:23 AM »
Could you give a reference to this RR bonus also acting as a penalty to the base attack roll? IMO this is at least not in the cure rules and only, if it is not a house rule, an optional rule from one of the companions

Referring to the old Spell Law, Stock #1200 (it was also in the red covered book) Table 10.2 Base Spell Roll Modifications. The fourth item down is Race with +/- variable and under notes E.G. demons, dwarves, etc.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
Thanks for the reference. Subtracting the full RR bonus is a possible interpretation of this note, but IMHO it is quite far-fetched to apply the full bonus. Probably this item does no longer appear in the newer RMSS/RMFRP since it is a bit misleading.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »
Carefully.
I have a picture on a wall showing an army facing a great drake. The dragon is winning.

Proper dragons should be about the most dangerous opponent you could face. They are highly intelligent with dangerous natural weaponry and spell casters as well.

You really need a bane weapon. Sadly in my gameworld creatures can sense the presence of their bane. Dragons in my world also have "True Sight" so can see through illusions, invisibility etc.

If you do manage to slay one that has been menacing a nation expect to be given titles, lands etc.

Oh yes did I mention that often there will be a mature dragon and some youngsters being protected. Don't anoy mother!
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
Then again, I remember a weak hobbit thief with a shortbow and magic arrow hitting a dragon with a "00" 1st round..   >:(

Aahh that is Rolemaster - it is beauuutiful :)
GM'ing RM since 1984

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
Could you give a reference to this RR bonus also acting as a penalty to the base attack roll? IMO this is at least not in the cure rules and only, if it is not a house rule, an optional rule from one of the companions

Referring to the old Spell Law, Stock #1200 (it was also in the red covered book) Table 10.2 Base Spell Roll Modifications. The fourth item down is Race with +/- variable and under notes E.G. demons, dwarves, etc.

I think some of the tables are meant to be used for multiple game systems. After all, Arms Law started out as a supplement to AD&D right? I interpret the modifications under 10.2 to be taken as general guidelines for adapting other game systems to RM Spell Law.
GM'ing RM since 1984