Author Topic: Orc - An Open Source Rolemaster Combat Application  (Read 4947 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Orc - An Open Source Rolemaster Combat Application
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
What is Orc?
Orc is an Open Source Application that is built mainly for use with the Rolemaster Fantasy System targetting RMFRP when it comes to tables. It is a combat manager. It will take in a party of characters, including NPC's and help manage a melee combat with this party. You can save encounters to load up for future use as well. Once you start combat Orc will automatically roll initiatives and parse through each character as their initiatives resolve. You can either attack, roll of maneuver or cast a spell.

Orc's Features
I had a lot of features in my first draft but have listened to reason and streamlined a lot of those features out. However some features just needed to stay. For example, Orc will keep track of critical information for you and even apply that information to attacks or for the round as you fight (for example, bleeding crits will hack off hit points after each round). Also parries and attack values are kept so that you know how much you have left to parry or attack with. Fumbles are a part of the program and you can even tell Orc to bracket criticals if you are performing a special attack like a Subdual or Ambush (this basically allows you to scroll through the appropriate criticals based on the ranks you enter). Orc will also look up breakage, fumbles and range values for each weapon so you don't have to.

Orc's Limitations
Orc does not help with Flank, rear or surprise. Simply add this to the modifiers. Orc will not keep track of who has initiative over you. You can click a character in the main window to override the Combat and bring up that character to attack over the character who is highlighted. Orc will not keep track of Action phases such as Snap, Normal or deliberate. These features and more will be included at some point in the future. Initiatives and Action phases are most definitely being considered for Version 1.1.

What's are the requirements to run Orc
Right now Orc will only work for Windows, however it is coded to work under Linux and OSX. I can only create binaries (a working application) for Windows as that is the only environment I have to work with. Also I am running Windows 7, so I'm not sure if it works under Vista or XP. I would think it should work fine. The application uses wxWidgets, C++ and XML so I see no reason why Vista and XP wouldn't run it out of the box.

What is Open Source
Open Source basically means this program is free. That's right, it's free (except for the database which I will get to later). Also if you are developer you can join the Development/Support Team of Orc making improvements. Right now I'm in need of a Linux and Mac developer as I cannot create an application for these environments as I do not have access to them. So if there are Linux and OSX developers out there and are interested in helping out with Orc, send me an email and I can get you in the Rolemaster Open Source Google Group and work out the details. The source in not available yet but I will make it available here soon.

Why isn't the database free?
The database for Orc is basically Arms Law and Spell Law and parts of RMFRP rolled into XML tables. In other words, to have the database means to own these books which makes it a copyright issue. I have no further information and will hopefully have more information on this soon. What you do have are templates with the source code thus those who have bought these books can fill in the tables on their own.

Additional Information
Orc's blog is found at http://rolemastercombatmanager.blogspot.com/ which contains updates to the application as I have them. You will find screenshots and other announcements as they happen. I will update the blog as it comes to the future of the XML database for Orc.

Also in a few weeks I plan to start a Character Generator and Manager so people can create character sheets and manage them. I will also link this with Orc so the two can be used simultaneously. This is also going to be Open Source.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:35:07 AM by Monk »

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
Re: Orc - An Open Source Rolemaster Combat Application
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »
This looks interesting...pretty clean and simple...I'm looking forward to the completed program...
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
Sounds like something I can use. I will take a look at the site when I have more time.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
This looks interesting...pretty clean and simple...I'm looking forward to the completed program...

Clean and simple is always the goal. :D

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
From the Blog...

I have made Orc .10Beta available to the public. Things to note with this release.

1) This is not a stable version and therefore could be prone to a few bugs and crashes. If it does crash I would love to know when the crash happened and what you were doing at the time so I can address the issue.

2) The XML Database again are all templates with no data in them. Copyright issues prevent me from making full databases available to the public. Also please don't ask me to send you these files as an aside. If I can't make them available in this application then I can't send them via email as well.

3) If you think there is a bug in the program please send me an email on it and I will address the issue in time.

4) I also accept enhancement requests if you have ideas. I already have a few of my own which include the following (Active Spells pane on the main window listing all active spells, better functionality for creatures and beasts and help files). I'm aware there is no automation of phases in Orc. This is a feature I do plan to have in time, but I need to think about a design first. ;)

Enjoy!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
Update:

http://rolemastercombatmanager.blogspot.com/2010/03/testing-for-101-underway.html

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:57:57 AM »
Update: Version 1.01b is now available.

http://rolemastercombatmanager.blogspot.com/2010/03/orc-version-101-is-available.html

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
Hi there.  Are you still working on this?  I was wondering about customizing it.  I think the app looks really promising, and was hoping to mod it for HARP, if that was possible.  By the way, thanks for keeping the flame going with Rolemaster software, if it wasn't for you I don't think there would have been anything done.  Your character maker is still aces in my book  :D

Darby

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:54 AM »
I haven't touched it for a while as I was working on Harp. I am planning to return to this soon and also had the idea to make it work under Harp and for Hack and Slash. I don't know if it is possible to customize it as is from the database without adjusting the software to help.

Thanks for the props on the character maker. Hopefully my new one for Harp mimics it well. That's project I'm sad to see slowly wither away. I guess I could just release the source code for anyone to pick it up.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Hi Monk!

I took a look at your apps and it is interesting! I'm doing somme programming in C++ also, but never tried windows applications for now, only console. I didn't go through all the code, but I'm wondering where you are doing the calculations (e.i. stats bonuses)? Are you coding it yourself "by hand" or do you use some software to create some parts of the code automatically?

I'm interested by your templates for combat tables. How can I have a copy of them (if possible)?

Thanks!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »
Hi Monk!

I took a look at your apps and it is interesting! I'm doing somme programming in C++ also, but never tried windows applications for now, only console. I didn't go through all the code, but I'm wondering where you are doing the calculations (e.i. stats bonuses)? Are you coding it yourself "by hand" or do you use some software to create some parts of the code automatically?

I'm interested by your templates for combat tables. How can I have a copy of them (if possible)?

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've touched this. Let me try and remember. I believe when it comes to Orc it doesn't "calculate" anything when it comes to your OB. In creating a player you put in all of the offensive and defensive information for your player thus in filling in your OB you are filling in the OB from your character sheet that I believe in your skill bonus in whatever weapon you are defining. In addition to your OB and DB you can also add in User Defined Fields where you could define the player's stat bonuses if you were to use them for anything. These user fields can be for anything and they solve a myriad of issues I encountered with the program and enabled me to basically free up a lot of the program from doing calculations.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
I am being asked for a serial number when attempting to install.  Is this correct?
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:19 AM »
I am being asked for a serial number when attempting to install.  Is this correct?

Just type in a whole bunch of 9s. [;)] I will work on removing that. It's an archetype of when I was actually thinking of selling it but have moved onto to another idea.

To get past the serial stuff:

fill in junk for the Name and Company field and a bunch of 9s for the serial field. Don't worry, none of this stuff is going anywhere. It's like a phone without the phone cable.

Offline Soul

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • We're all Monkeys
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
Just found this on the board.  I'm interested in using it as well.  Are you still updating the program?  It's very simple and clean. 
Burn It Down.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:37:00 AM »
Updates are coming. :) I'm hoping for something in May

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:15 AM »
Great. I need to check it out.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Draeck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »
ORC looks promising. I will be keping an eye on your development. BTW, one of the previous posts mentions a character creator. Is there a copy of it in the vaults? If not is there someplace I can look at it?

Draeck

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
I have a character creator made for HARP called AutoHARP. The download is located in my signature. It's an older version and I have a newer Beta version on my computer to be released soon. I may release it at the same I release Orc for HARP, possibly sooner.