Author Topic: Fighter, with a twist?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fighter, with a twist?
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:12 AM »
I'm trying to come up with an interesting twist for the fighter profession. By twist I mean a (set of) talent(s), skills, race etc, that would be feasible within the character law/SOHK books. (The twist shoud of course not be related to fighting)

I've always played a spell user fo some sort, and thought it would be a good idea to try something new. But, Im afraid I will get quickly get bored without the magic. I have got some ideas myself, but would love to get some input from the lot of experienced players and GM in here.

Any ideas?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline rambleshanks

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fighter, with a twist?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
What about as fighter from a nocturnal hunting type culture  - sees well in the dark, stealthy, has an owl totem  etc

Rambleshanks

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
Owl totem?

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
There are other nocturnal creatures.  Some lizards are nocturnal.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
Perhaps he is a world-class cook?
A grime and blood covered, axe-swinging, brute of a man who could cook for the gods themselves!

Why does he fight? Why isn't he cooking for the Emperor?

Hmmmm....
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
Haberdashery.... Both a Talent and a Flaw. You can make money from almost anything! But no one really takes you seriously.

Scraps of cloth, bits of leather, hats and shoes...
Maybe the local alchemist needs something special for a new Rune Paper # recipe. Who else is going to collect all these rags? What are you going to do once you get them?
The Beggars Guild is paying a bit too much attention to your activities and with their new bald, chanting monk beggars... you had better learn to fight.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:38:58 AM »
That's some really good ideas - thanks guys!  ;D

Im intrigued by both the tailor and chef idea, and will consider both. I think the fighter profession has some really nice attributes (we like to have some fights now and then) but it needs some depths not to become boring.

Im thinking of taking the flaw greedy, and also giving him delusionary - the delusion beeing him believing he has photographic memory. Im picturing him digging down all kinds of treasures, and never bothering to make a map.. ;D

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
"I don't need a map, I have total recall.."

"Oh, no! Someone's changed the entire landscape!
They've dug up the treasure and planted these trees, moved those hills... but I know this is the place!
The treasure was more important than I imagined if they went through all this trouble. Now who would have the desire.... and the means..."
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
Exactly  :)

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »
What about a fighter with ritualistic compulsions? Having to sharpen his sword at least 14 times (13 would equal to disaster)! his weapon will always be razor sharp (+5 OB) but he won t be able to resist fulfilling his compulsion, in effect losing the beggining of a battle (or even thw whole of a battle).
http://johnkapsalis.deviantart.com/

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
How about a paranoid schizophrenic?  Delusions that a demon is tormenting him and recruiting others to help in the torment.  He trusts only a handful of people if that.  Occassionally the demon "possesses" something to take more direct action in tormenting our poor hero.  To rid the earth of the demon he attacks whatever is possessed, table, tree, cute li'l bunny rabbit.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
But playing a personality with these kind of traits is really difficult, if one doesn t want to get on stereotypes such as seen in most of the movies.
Most of the times in real world, schizophrenics become more harmfull to themselves instead to others. Anyone struck by this illness is different (from other schizophrenics due to his own personality) and is becoming in time more fragile and lonely, trying to survive in his own autistic world.

Who could roleplay good enough a man hearing to different voices discussing in his head?
One demon voice sounding like his father's (who died in an old battle fighting orcs or a fire demon) and one angelic giving him a divine inspiration (+50 activity) like the trumpets of heaven!

It could add a lot of drama!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:09:20 AM by jokapsal »
http://johnkapsalis.deviantart.com/

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
.. or the other way around; take the"wrath" flaw, and give him the delusion that it's all in his head. I guess he wouldent live long, though..

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
  Play a fighter who wants to me a mage. Or a Cleric. If you go to the Guild Companion they have an article about other professions becoming an initiate in a religion. It cost some DP and then the PC gets a spell list or two that they can buy as a semi, IIRC. But sometimes there are other bonuses.

Or play a fighter who is sure they are a Mame or a Cleric and do not understand why their spells do not work. So then to solve problems they have to pick up a weapon and go to work.

Play an artistic fighter who likes to learn unusual fighting styles or buys armor and weapons that have a very artistic look as well as being functional. This is adapted from the usual Noble PC.

Play a Golumn [Sp? not in the dictionary] who is controlled by another PC and you are gradually breaking free of his control. Or maybe you are mind dominated by someone and you are again gradually breaking free of their control.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.