Author Topic: Romol CS - ROleMaster OnLine Character Sheet  (Read 3210 times)

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Romol CS - ROleMaster OnLine Character Sheet
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »
Hello,

After the success of YAHCS soon to be renamed the Official Harp Online Character Sheet, I am going to be doing a RM version of this...

Its been approx 15 years since I played Rm so I have a few questions...

I've played RMSS once (I think) and RM2 with companions 1-5 before that...

If one was going to create a character sheet should there be different character sheet versions?

I.e. RMC = RM with the companions? With no categories?
RMSS and RMFRP have categories and so skills would be listed under their categories, correct? (Similar to HARP?)

Is there a standard Character sheet for each that I can use for a Standard format?
I will need to recreate it in HTML so I need a set format....

NB: EVENTUALLY I imagine that there could be a "Template" that people could select to view their character sheet in....

Thanks in advance.
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Romol CS - ROleMaster OnLine Character Sheet
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
 IMO a sheet would need to be made for RMSS/FRP and for RM2. In most of the main books there is a blank PC sheet and there are quite a few in the Vault that people have made.

The one I like for RMSS has the categories and skills underneath but it is about 8 pages long. What I would like to see is just a skill sheet with all skills and the skill ranks and value on it. That way the players have a smaller sheet to look at and find skills.

For RM2 the problem is what companions do you use and you might have to have a new sheet for each companion.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
I'll go with a few options on creation where, when you create a new character, you wil be asked to create a name and what version of RM character you want to create.

That will allow several options but will mean the development is onger as I'll have to create several charater sheets from scratch... :(
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
 I would create two versions a RMSS varsion and a RM2 version. In fact I saw someone else also working on one so you might want to get together and work on it together.
 I think the persons name was monk and I would send him a PM and see if you could work together.

Not to be crazy but there is also a SM:P and SM2. Both IMO are easy once you have the fantasy stuff done.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
Hi,

The database stuff is EASY!!

Its the conversion of the character sheets from pdf to html that is hard....

UPDATE: The RMSS charactersheet I have been working on WILL print ok, but in IE, you MUST enable Printing of Background Colours and Images as per Tools - Internet Options -  Advanced - Printing...

THEN the lines on the character sheet will look ok when printed..

So I will work on that.

ROMOL CS will allow you to select the type of character this is and display the character in that sheet... This will be saved as a field listed against the character....

A SM one will also need to be looked at but could be another choice in Character types when you create a new character....

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
Phew!

The RMSS character sheet has been converted to HTML.

I have put the rmss.zip in the Vault.
It uses a template to display the details - the character details on page one is done - pages two and three are not done.

The template will use text substitution to replace the fields with the data.
So eventually you will be able to upload your own template and thus, get a character showing on any type of template you want...

(But that will be a while yet...)

But the long hard job of converting the rmss Characer sheet to HTML is done and now I have to replace the underscore characters with the data fields... AARGHH!!!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline Globulin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
Wow, the HTML character sheets are fantastic!  I use the old ACG program and it creates HTML output, but it looks nothing like this. Thanks so much for doing this!
"Less dice, more rules"

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:09 AM »
No problem.

At the moment I am very slowly doing the long tedious work of entering all the fields on page one into the database.

Page two (the categories), need to have the fields entered on the sheet, deleting the underscore characters, and then adding these fields into the database too.
Page three (the skills) I am very tempted to simply getting the user to create the page front, then write the skill fields as one single line and the line gets replaced for every skill.

Downside: the template format is entirely useless as the skills are printed according to the program.
Upside: Really easy to code...

If I use the template format for page three...

Downside: takes a long time to replace every single underscore with a field, then entering those fields in the database
Upside: templates are kept inplace, meaning anyone can create their own template and ask for it to be used!

At this point, I will probably be doing #2, so the program will take at least a year to get completed (thats the timeline Ive set myself) but will be better in the long run. ON the accounts screen each user can set the Default character template they want to use (No, there will not be a preview option!). But each template will need to be asked to be submitted to the program - this will also ensure that each html file is checked for nasty code befopre being called by the program!

Does anyone have any better ideas that I havent thought of???
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer