Author Topic: RMSS needs fewer skills!  (Read 4149 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMSS needs fewer skills!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »
runequester, did you pick the TP? Some are vastly different...
Could they still buy TP's with DP's?

This discussion could easily be one of "too many skills at 1st lvl". But again, each game is different.

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
we talked about what was appropriate for the character and went from there.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:06 AM »
I have thought about giving everyone Adventurer for free, just starting out.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:47 AM »
Back when I was playing RMSS, I used Rasyr's Irregular Realms along with a free TP at level one to help better define the PC. It worked well.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »

yeah, adventurer is a good one to make sure they have some basic survival skills.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »

yeah, adventurer is a good one to make sure they have some basic survival skills.

I feel that robs urban chanacters of the opportunity to fear the "wild".  They need guides and protectors. Everyone shoudl have a role.  A part to play. If everyone is "well ballanced for all skills" then there is no interdependance and cooperation, or cohesion of group.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
It is a realistic method like in real life there are infinite skills you can learn, and then you decide which ones you learn.

But there are some skills that really have no sense or can be confusing, I think everyone is with me if I talk about awareness category, split read tracks and tracking is fine, but some others can be confusing or can be removed from the system.

Special mention to sense ambush, is not covered that in alertness?, alertness in theory alert you from ANY danger unconsciously (not active use of the skill).

Surveillance it can't be explained, I think for this you use your stalking and observation skills, the sense awareness overlaps totally with the others and can be confusing, so sense taste overlaps with poison perception, but the worst are the ear and sight as these can overlap most of other awareness skills. I'd remove sense awareness so character should develop the required skills based on purpose.

Situational awareness is good (a really good idea have a skill to cover special situations), but can be hard to manage for novice users, I think mainly in some skills like sit.awa. combat and sit.awa. sleeping, but others can be a bit confusing. Moreover, we have in one TP that gives sit.awa. exploration, what?, this can be too much confusing, I think it was changed in a TP revision by observation, much better.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
DS.
 I used to think that Sense Am was used like you said but instead it is used to subtract from an opponents Ambush skill.

I agree that Sit Awar skills are confusing to me as I give the player the knowledge to use with there Observation skill, in other words their knowledge applies to skill actions and sight actions.

House Rule:
 I also only use the sense: [hear, sight, smell, etc] skills for animals or shape changers. I just apply a bonus to Observation or a bonus in specific uses of Observation instead of new skills.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 07:19:38 AM »
House Rule:
 I also only use the sense: [hear, sight, smell, etc] skills for animals or shape changers. I just apply a bonus to Observation or a bonus in specific uses of Observation instead of new skills.

That is not bad  ;) , refine your senses for real awareness skills, maybe a +1 per rank if the sense is used in the skill, in the case of multiple senses (typically sight and ear) use average. I haven't thought about that possiblity.