Author Topic: Questions from all over  (Read 4534 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Questions from all over
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
 I have a few questions that I would love to have help on as my memory is going in the laster years. Here is the first one as I have forgotten the rest and have to check my list on another PC.

1) Is there a magic item or metal that adds OB for directed spells and/or elemental "ball" spells?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Questions from all over
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
Ok how about this one:

2) What do you use to see if an item is attuned to another person?

I do not know myself but I think a high level delving type spell might do it. But how about a really good Power Perception roll? Or you thoughts on something else.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »

Items do not attune to people. People attune to items. If an item to which a person is attuned, leaves that person and is carried by somebody else (i.e 24 hours or more), then the person would need to re-attune to the object.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »
Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:16 AM »
Is this different from some of the "personal items" on a few spell lists?

I was thinking the Armsmaster's personal weapon. Yeah, that's probably dif'rent.
But there could be something between a "stored mental pattern" from the lists and items/beings/familiars bonded to that stored pattern.Hhhhmmmm, psychometry....

Some magic items can "return" to owner's hand... the 24 hrs could make that an easy way to separate the two...

And if you're talking about will contests, then it kind of is like tuning it to you/ forcing your will onto it.

You've given me some stuff to think about.
Thanks.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:56:53 AM »
Personal Magic Items -- These are items where the aura of the magical item itself is tied directly the aura of the caster. There is never any attunement required for the person for whom they are meant. And nobody else will ever be able to attune to the item either.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »

Substitute attuned with "bonded" or "personalized" and it's still a pretty good question.
While traveling through the forest, one of the group notices a particularly stripped raccoon eating crayfish by a stream. "Hey, didn't the evil Sorcerer Puffinstuff have a raccoon familiar?" "Yeah, said he'd get revenge on us if we ever came this way again, too. But you've always been paranoid.."

One of the prison guards arrives with a new sword, booty from a bandit attack. The Captain inspects it and realizes that it has the Imperial Mark of Armsmaster conditioning on the hilt. "Foolish guard! One of our prisoners is an Imperial Armsmaster. He must know we have the king's heir and you've just brought him the key to his release. We have to find him before he summons this sword. We shall lay a trap..."

I'm really not trying to take over a post,  :-[ ,but it does seem like there could be a way to study mark, mind type, store pattern or something that you can compare as.... evidence of use, familiarity, bonding, etc. to find a link between the two.
 Maybe just a bloodhound. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
 All other questions are good as they also help.

3) On Spell's looks:
  a) Do all shield spells have the same look, except for a different color? [I think the color is tied to the realm]
  b) Can a spell that has been visually altered with Spell Artistry be learned as the base casting form of the spell? For example if a Paladin Order called the White Lions had a cleric or member of their order practice altering  a shield spell so it has a white lion in the shield effect?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »
As for how individual spells look, I have always gone with the school/organization/mentor/etc.. method. Each of these does it a little bit different (nothing to change the rules though) and would have minor appearance changes to them, as well. So, the royal-mages of the Kingdom Kunia have Shield spells that look like a white, kite shield with the emblem of Kunia. The Shield spell of the street mage, on the other hand, looks like a silvery round shield with no emblem. Once it is established, the only way to change it is through Spell Artistry (or Mastery, if you prefer).

Not every spell has such distinctive characteristics, I believe. Some could be completely unnoticeable, unless you have the required magical abilities or spells.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »
Spell Looks -- I agree with RandalThor, the spell's "base" look would depend upon who taught the caster.

This is one of the things I use "Spell Lore" (i.e. Lore*Magical category) for, to see if the person knows what people/groups/whatever use specific visual effects (also to know what spell is being cast).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
 So how would you create your own effect besides Spell Artistry? Or how did an spell appearance come into begin?

I also like the idea of unique distinctive looks to spells depending on where they are from. But as above I am trying to find a way to rationalize it and rationalize new looks coming about?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »

Items do not attune to people. People attune to items. If an item to which a person is attuned, leaves that person and is carried by somebody else (i.e 24 hours or more), then the person would need to re-attune to the object.

Would that apply to Intelligent and empathic objects as well?
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
1) Is there a magic item or metal that adds OB for directed spells and/or elemental "ball" spells?

MDC

In F&I corrupted weapons can add to your directed spell.

You could create an item to increase directed spell using the same method as any item that increases a skill.

I also like the idea of unique distinctive looks to spells depending on where they are from. But as above I am trying to find a way to rationalize it and rationalize new looks coming about?

MDC

Different methods and different styles of teachers.  If you were taught to paint by Picasso your paintings would look quite a bit different than those by a student on Monet yet they are both painting with the same materials.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
 Mocking bird,
 Yes the painting analogy is good but Picasso was taught by someone who would have imprinted on him. So he would have taught the same effect to his students.
 So how do I rationalize the change without waving my hands? Can the players change the look of their spells after 1,000 castings? Or maybe they need so many ranks in Spell Mastery and Spell Artistry to change the look? Or besides the above they also need to spend 3 months just with the spell and learning the adjustments. This is what I am trying to figure out with everyones help.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »
I allow the 1st level of Spell Enhancement to be cast as an instant and without power points.
It is visual only and doesn't upset game balance at all, for us.

Plus, I'm always looking for ways to get people to take it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
I allow the 1st level of Spell Enhancement to be cast as an instant and without power points.
It is visual only and doesn't upset game balance at all, for us.

Plus, I'm always looking for ways to get people to take it.

I agree with you and in the past I have done the same. But I am building a new world and I want to try and iron out these old questions so I can write them down in the player guide. Then I just have to make sure the players read the guide.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:27 AM »
I just suggest that it not be a huge deal. When they have cast the spell a lot and have a decent rank in spell mastery you could just allow them to slightly alter the look of the spell.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 12:40:42 AM »
I just suggest that it not be a huge deal. When they have cast the spell a lot and have a decent rank in spell mastery you could just allow them to slightly alter the look of the spell.

Thanks that is what I will do.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
4) How would you make a light source that only provided light for night sight or dark sight?

5) How would you prevent the Water Gate spell from functioning from Fire and Ice the Elemental Comp? I was thinking about a barrier that blocked off the shore at one point and at another point 10 miles away. Or does the whole area hove to be under the barrier spell?

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
4) How would you make a light source that only provided light for night sight or dark sight?

Well, there's "keying" I believe it's called. These keys can make magic work only for certain individuals and conditions. Just key the (magical) light source to the appropriate sight.

If we were talking "infra-vision", I'd suggest a pretty big source of "heat" that bathes the area. Doesn't have to be visible to anyone else.

If I understand correctly... Darksight shouldn't need any illumination... but I might not understand correctly.. ???