Author Topic: Giantism and Tough Hide  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Viktyr Gehrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Head Full of Angry Bees
Giantism and Tough Hide
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:40 AM »
I'm running a couple of HARP games right now (Spelljammer and Shroompunk) and I've noticed that a few players are really going out of their way to get their hands on Giantism (or Great Stature) and the best possible version of Tough Hide. I've had several players make inquiries about blood talents that would allow them to pick up Tough Hide.

Is it really that good?

I understand that part of running HARP is setting limits for your own game. But what's a good way of making it so that Tough Hide isn't so immediately and blatantly attractive? I am considering banning any Blood Talent that grants it, but this is a step I would rather not take.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Giantism and Tough Hide
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 05:37:36 AM »
soz, but IMHO tough hide is an NPC talent and unavailable for PCs

8)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:11 AM »
soz, but IMHO tough hide is an NPC talent and unavailable for PCs
There are some additional Blood Talents in some HARPer's Bazaar editions which contain Tough Hide as component. But generally you are right, the core race don't contain Tough Hide as Talent. If you are only using core rules then you won't stumble into this problem.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
For Tough Hide - see this thread for an interesting discussion of Tough Hide and armor stacking.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7112.0

As for negatives to make it less attractive - why is the character's skin "tough hide"?  Does that have a roleplaying impact in dealing with others?  Obviously in Spelljammer where varied races run amok, there is no negative so be prepared to have them take it. Of course, you can use the Monster Ability - not available for characters response, but as I have stated before I like to keep the door open on that, especially in a setting where most of the races are somewhat "monstrous" to begin with.

As for Giantism - the easiest negative impact is size related. I played in a spelljammer campaign where one of the characters played some kind of giant. Every time he wanted to have his character sleep he had to sleep topside on the deck of the ship because he could not fit through the doorways.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com