Author Topic: teleporting problems  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: teleporting problems
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 01:38:16 PM »
Naw, the fall wouldn't hurt at all.....

It's that sudden stop at the bottom that really shakes you up...

;D

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:24 PM »
 Somewhere down the line we started using 150 lbs plus 25 or 50 lbs per level as the max mass for teleport or longdoor.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Another question, when it says targets do you let bigger targets go through as 1 or more targets. For example a pair of horses and large wagon. I would rule that each horse is 2 targets and the wagon is 2 or 3 targets.
 How would you rule the above?
RMSS SL, p228:
"When dealing with movement spell (e.g., Fly, Levitation, Leaving, Long Door, etc.), we suggest that such spells normally handle a base weight up to 1.5 times the target’s mass (weight). For every level of the caster, an additional 5 lbs is added to this base amount. There is then a 1% chance per 10 lbs over this limit that the spell will fail whenever the target attempts to lift more than the base amount."
So, for a 200 lb 10th level Magician a "target" would be an amount of items including at most a single creature weighing at best 350 lb (200 lb x 1.5 + 50 lb = 350lb base). Since a horse is between 1000 and 2000 lb, it would count as 3 to 6 targets.

Yeah, you feeble mage with your robe, don't try to teleport the tall and sturdy warrior with his plate, please!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:49:50 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
That rule created a lot of tall, fat mages back in the day.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
 ALL HAIL THE WIZARD WITH ELEPHANTITIS !!    ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
I would allow Spell Mastery to up the mass limits for such spells and not make casting on a horse-sized creature too difficult.

As for teleporting into a city, that's rather like flying into a restricted area. Unless you're something like a royal messenger in official livery, suddenly popping into an urban area is going to get a defensive reaction. Maybe you can talk the guards into believing you're not hostile before things get out of hand, but you'll probably wind up with a citation at best and a grave at worst. Better to appear outside the city and walk a little. Most cities in my world have a teleport arrival field designated for the purpose not far outside city limits.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 03:05:13 AM »
For on of my campaign I've also made some nasty creatures (inspired by the Hounds of Tindalos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounds_of_Tindalos) who were attracted by space/time distortions, like those created by a teleport spell. Failing a teleport spell, or using too many of this kind of spells in a limited amount of time, had a chance of attracting them.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
Can we say half-elf F (half-elf half troll) for teleports. We did in fact have one game where a sorceror channeled the teleport to the half ogre cleric so the cleric would be the caster for the teleport. Best way to move a lot of mass.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 07:28:11 AM »
Mages who made a living out of moving things tended to look like jaba back in the day. . . .does it matter that at 700# you can't walk? That's why you had that bracelet of levitation magister baron harkonen.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Spell Mastery or even Spell Enhancement sound easier than channeling to larger creatures or loading up on fast food. :D

Also, there are a few spells that can increase mass ('Change)..  they might help a little.

So, there aren't many problems (sinus headaches, stunning deafness (temporarily), temperature changes, scares horses and chickens, shows up on MADAR, curdles milk...) that people use.

Well, I still might go with a MM so as not to trip/fall down when arriving. It might be easier to arrive a few inches above the spot, unless very familiar.   
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
Mages who made a living out of moving things tended to look like jaba back in the day. . . .does it matter that at 700# you can't walk? That's why you had that bracelet of levitation magister baron harkonen.
Thinking the other way, it almost makes sense that one becomes slender, athletic and in good shape because one exorcizes ('walks') regularly while someone who only flies or teleports would grow obese after some time... Car-using couch potato phenomenon, and all.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
 Using a MM is quite common in games that I have played in. Generally it is just an acrobatics roll which the Mage which we also use for the Mage flying.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.

in remembrance..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"