Author Topic: Spell casting in RMFRP  (Read 2053 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Spell casting in RMFRP
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
Hi all,

I'm getting confused over the rules for spell casting in RMFRP... I think I maybe adding too many steps into the procedure.

Currently, the PC makes a spell casting static manoeuvre which is rolled and added to the spell list bonus and if successful, then makes a roll on the basic spell attack table (modified by nothing) and this gives a result in the appropriate column (to the defender's advantage). This result is the modifier to the defender's Resistance roll based on the attacker's level against the defender's level.

Is the roll for the initial static manoeuvre modified by the spell list bonus - and is a second roll used for the basic spell attack table - or is the initial roll simply used again for that table (but not modified by the spell list bonus this time)?

Am I using too many steps to cast spells? Should the static manoeuvre be used only for utility spells and the basic spell attack table used for attacking spells only - without any static manoeuvres? In that case, are there any modifiers used to the defender if it's not attacking? Or is any spell that requires a RR by the defender counted as an 'attack' spell (which can include 'healing' spells as the 'recipient' has the possibility to resist)?

Thanks.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell casting in RMFRP
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:14 PM »
RMFRP page 46 - there is a note that specifically says that the spell casting static maneuver roll is part of the spell casting action and is not a separate action.

Thus....

Spell list bonus IS used when casting a spell (if the spell is not an attack spell, and it meets the criteria for "automatic casting", then the casting roll is essentially just a formality to make sure they didn't fumble) for some rolls. The bonus becomes important only when the modifiers from page 47 start being applied and/or when one of the conditions of automatic casting are not met.

When making rolls on the Base Spell Attack Table or the Ball Attack Table, the spell list bonus is NOT used, the skill rank is used (RMFRP 229-230).

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Spell casting in RMFRP
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
Ah! That clears it up for me now. Thank you. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery