Author Topic: My GM is a madman, halp!  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: My GM is a madman, halp!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 04:55:19 AM »
I'd get my character to get Long Door as a spell, blood talent, scroll etc and when the going gets tough.....the tough get going.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 05:38:34 AM »
Hi,

The out-of-game options were I think fully described.

Concerning in-game: don't whine, die like a man. When my 1st level character was pursued by this 30 level daemon riding a black unicorn and came to a fissure crossed by a bridge which was guarded by 4 fighters, my character decided he had better chances to jump into the fissure. The GM got the message....

BR Juergen

Offline Xamex

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Clubbulls
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:49 AM »
Concerning in-game: don't whine, die like a man. When my 1st level character was pursued by this 30 level daemon riding a black unicorn and came to a fissure crossed by a bridge which was guarded by 4 fighters, my character decided he had better chances to jump into the fissure. The GM got the message....

BR Juergen

Brilliant move!  ;D
www.clubbulls.com

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
why on earth would a 1st lvl pc be dealing with a 30th lvl foe in any game system, except maybe RuneQuest..?   what? are these GM's smoking crack and eating PCP laced funions out there?

When my 1st level character was pursued by this 30 level daemon riding a black unicorn and came to a fissure crossed by a bridge which was guarded by 4 fighters, my character decided he had better chances to jump into the fissure. The GM got the message....
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »
Well, to keep one other player character, an 8th level Archmage in chaotic armor, 1000PPs, casting of level 20 spells within 1 round,... under control.

It was my first or second evening in that group and the rule was that everyone starts at level 1.

Now, 8 years later, things have calmed down. We are playing a nice group in a low magic world, so my level 8 paladin is desperately searching for a x2 PP multiplier (at least his sword is +10 magic).

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
all the more reason to bag up on the herbs. im tellin ya after having played D&D since '77 and RM since '81, RM is the bomb for using herbs for more than money and backpack filler.
from the sounds of it yer playin in a variant HARP/RM game with the x2 pp item.
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:08 AM »
--> I love this thread. The humour subtly shifted from the problem situation to this situation, and both kinds made me laugh out loud. :D Are there laugh points for threads?
Still sniggering,

Jan
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline Bojangles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
More bad news everyone, he's now trying to train us to be GM's for future events, now my room has become a marine-core training camp where we have to go through mental obstacle courses to create and enforce rules.

We're players, we're not ment to think!

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »
That's right.  I've decided that since my players are spineless whimps (despite none of them ever dying), I'm going to start doing a rotation of GMs so that they can at least have a break from the weak Undeads I've been sending (less hit points than Class I), and the ONE Hobgoblin that is attempting to run away.

My plan is to have a large megadungeon (Thanks 0One Games!) and whoever is GMing at the time determines what's in the room that the party walks into.

But I disagree Bojangles.  You players are meant to think.  Just not all the time. ;D

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 05:09:25 AM »
That's right.  I've decided that since my players are spineless whimps (despite none of them ever dying), I'm going to start doing a rotation of GMs so that they can at least have a break from the weak Undeads I've been sending (less hit points than Class I), and the ONE Hobgoblin that is attempting to run away.

Cool idea! Have an idea point  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »
It will also be a break for the GM.  ;)
GM's rarely get vacations..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Our group does something similar. Most players GM as well so that everyone gets a chance to play. Also, our GM's make up the adventures so we all get to use our creativity.

Mind you, we do have some classic arguements between us with 4 GM's debating points.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
We do the same, we have an agreed world (Aventurien from DSA, the world of "Drakensang") and the GMs have all freedom as long as they leave the world standing.

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
As far as setting, when we started playing I had a map.  It had cities, rivers the elven forest, and the different names of the human languages.  That was as far as I went.  The rest was filled in by the needs the players came up with.

But as a whole the group seems to be most happy with old school hack 'n slash.  Which absolutely works for me, and makes this much easier.  My plan is to have rotating GMs with this one hack 'n slash dungeon until we get through it (which can take a REALLY long time), and once that's done we'll talk about whether we want to continue that, or if someone wants to pick up the GMing gauntlet for a full adventure.

Offline ArmoryDave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tabletop Armory Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
Our group does something similar. Most players GM as well so that everyone gets a chance to play. Also, our GM's make up the adventures so we all get to use our creativity.

Mind you, we do have some classic arguements between us with 4 GM's debating points.

In that case, I'd refer to Rule 0.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
If Karizma hadn't come in, I was so link sending. . . .

I too am playing the giant dungeon, where have you dumped in your victims PCs?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »
At the moment we're finishing up a simple, easy little three-room "cavern".  It's not even a legitimate dungeon.

But I'm right about to snag the Dungeon of Terror by 0One and see if that'll work for what I plan.

Of course this is all on the assumption that my players actually are WILLING to do GM rotation.  They may fear me, but I've been doing this long enough for Stockholm Syndrome to start taking effect.

Addendum:
Okay, after spending a few minutes on the ICE store, I'm torn between Dungeon of Terror and Dungeon Under the Mountain.  Both are probably fantastic and a half.  Of Terror looks like it'll print better (each section on a 8.5"x11") while Under Mountain... well, LOOK AT THAT.

Anyone know enough about these to warrant an opinion?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:12:55 AM by Karizma »

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 04:45:03 AM »
In that case, I'd refer to Rule 0.

The bane of every rpg...  :P

Of course this is all on the assumption that my players actually are WILLING to do GM rotation.  They may fear me, but I've been doing this long enough for Stockholm Syndrome to start taking effect.

Lol!

I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »

But I'm right about to snag the Dungeon of Terror by 0One and see if that'll work for what I plan.
Anyone know enough about these to warrant an opinion?

use the DoT, i prefer these Oone prints because they are B&W easy to use and easy to setup for handouts if needed.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »
But that might be frustrating for the newbies.  As a newbie to I wouldn't like making a new character very often.  If a more experienced player talked to me before hand, I'd be much more willing to participate in such an endeavor.  Might even have a lot of fun with it (playing crazed bezerker fighter ala Erik the Red.)

To solve that you can always use the 'different character with verrry similar stats' form for character generation.  In ye goode olde 1st ed AD&D days we had a character named Fenlarion VI, the Incredibly Unlucky (but luckier than the first five Fenlarions actually).  Some deaths were due to the GM overestimating the party, some due to the player overestimating the capabilities of his character and the rest some ill-timed bad die rolls.

But back to the original topic - some of the problem might be the GM simply being more familiar with the rules.  Spell casting and selection in particular often require some finess that you only get with experience in the system.  Some skill selection might be the issue as well.  In RM for example a newbie didn't buy any body dev for several early levels simply because he forgot that was how RM worked as compared to other systems.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha