Author Topic: My GM is a madman, halp!  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Bojangles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
My GM is a madman, halp!
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:16:56 AM »
My GM seems bent on utterly destroying our dismal party, how should I confront him about his brutal tactics and setups. About 2 or 3 of our group are fairly new players and it seems that the baddies he throws at us are 'roid filled muscle bulging rape machines, including one of those in the form of a giant scorpian. Even if one of our party tries to be clever it seems his iron fist and vast knowledge of the rules is there to crush our opposition.

You think I should close my eyes and think of france? Or is there a way I can talk to him and still live next session?

P.S. he's also my roomate, so I don't wanna hurt his feelings.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
Re: My GM is a madman, halp!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
Start parrying with 100%.  When he asks you why, tell him that he is running encounters like a mad man.

Or start fleeing from every encounter.   ;D
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
Sound advice for Fiddler, no? :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline ArmoryDave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tabletop Armory Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »
You could go the other way (and maybe my mind just works like this) and have another type of fun with a GM like that.  

Rush headlong into battle against his impossible odds with the aim of dying and make him take the whole group through character creation every time you guys play.  

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
But that might be frustrating for the newbies.  As a newbie to I wouldn't like making a new character very often.  If a more experienced player talked to me before hand, I'd be much more willing to participate in such an endeavor.  Might even have a lot of fun with it (playing crazed bezerker fighter ala Erik the Red.)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline ArmoryDave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tabletop Armory Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »
But that might be frustrating for the newbies.  As a newbie to I wouldn't like making a new character very often.  If a more experienced player talked to me before hand, I'd be much more willing to participate in such an endeavor.  Might even have a lot of fun with it (playing crazed bezerker fighter ala Erik the Red.)

You're right, of course.  It would really only work if the players were in it together. 

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »
I went to play some HARP and a Paranoia game broke out!   :o

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:09 PM »
 All hail the great Computer!!!!!!

Do you need more happy pills? Please use requesion form 127b43. Happiness is mandatory.

I vote either run away alot or stay in safe areas and do the political game. Play the NPCs against eachother to get ahead in the game. Just skip the combat till the GM mellows a bit. ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Bojangles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »
Well right now we're at the bottom of a deep shaft, fighting undead and hobgoblins, one of our group is at -50 and about half health, others are somewhere inbetween or at full health, I (the cleric) am down to only 20 PP's and am at lvl 2 trying to use my healing spells sparingly. I have life-keeping but that's not what I want to use in this situation, it would be a bitch trying to climb our ladder with an unconcious member.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
We had a similar situation like this a couple of years ago and neither fled nor died to teach a lessen but tried to solve it away from the game table. We had a nice meeting with the group in a pizza place, ate nice and talked about how we had the feeling that the encounters were too tough and the campaign as a whole too difficult for us/our characters. He agreed on the difficulty of the encounters explained, however, that he did not mold his campaign around us but said that he set up a world and we simply managed to hit the tough encounters first. In the end it came down to how you want to play and set the gaming world: is it "there are some guards in the room (one per party member plus one)" or "this is a heavily guarded rooms (there are ten guards of eighth level not matter what level or how many party members there are)".
Although our points of views differed a bit it got better after the talk as both of us (the GM and the players) moved towards each other. He changed his world a bit and we knew what kind of setting we were in.

So, why not try to be direct yet constructive in a nice atmosphere outside the gaming table. Talk about what you like and dislike, what causes problems and maybe should not cause problems.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline ArmoryDave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tabletop Armory Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
We had a similar situation like this a couple of years ago and neither fled nor died to teach a lessen but tried to solve it away from the game table. We had a nice meeting with the group in a pizza place, ate nice and talked about how we had the feeling that the encounters were too tough and the campaign as a whole too difficult for us/our characters. He agreed on the difficulty of the encounters explained, however, that he did not mold his campaign around us but said that he set up a world and we simply managed to hit the tough encounters first. In the end it came down to how you want to play and set the gaming world: is it "there are some guards in the room (one per party member plus one)" or "this is a heavily guarded rooms (there are ten guards of eighth level not matter what level or how many party members there are)".
Although our points of views differed a bit it got better after the talk as both of us (the GM and the players) moved towards each other. He changed his world a bit and we knew what kind of setting we were in.

So, why not try to be direct yet constructive in a nice atmosphere outside the gaming table. Talk about what you like and dislike, what causes problems and maybe should not cause problems.

Ok, kidding aside, this is probably the best advice you will get on this topic.  I say go this route.  If you are friends, it should work out well. 

Good luck.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

This.
Talk to him, tell him that you're new to the system and need a little time to learn how combat works, that you're not having fun, etc.

Or surrender: start to negotiate with the hobgoblins ot let them capture you... you can always escape later :-)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
I went to play some HARP and a Paranoia game broke out!   :o

Citizen End User Agreement: You may be terminated.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:51:17 PM »
Munchy has it right. You need to sit down and talk, all of you. Make sure that all (or at least most) of the Players agree that it is too hard. Only then can you go to the GM and see if he can dial down the death-dealing a bit.

As for the different styles mentioned, if the
"this is a heavily guarded rooms (there are ten guards of eighth level not matter what level or how many party members there are)".
style, ask that he give better hints as to what might be too tough for you.

Example: The Knights of Death & Destruction (KoDD) are an elite order so would be too tough for low level PCs to handle (except, maybe, a single wounded knight caught by surprise  ;D) so the GM should ensure that they know this. Easiest way is to show them handling something that would be tough for the PCs without much problem. Cultural knowledge and other societal information would help here as well. You hear enough stories of the KoDD riding off and destroying (hence, the name) numerous dangerous foes, you will be less likely to take them on.

Another example: The monster is too tough for the PCs so outside it's lair are the bones and detritus of other fools who have tired to slay the beast. Have one or more suits of armor known to be worn by the KoDD among the detritus - that should make them back off.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Bojangles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
Uh-oh, turns out my GM frequents this forum under the name Karizma, I am doooooooooomed

But actually he's a cool guy so I got nothin to worry about  ;)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
Uh-oh, turns out my GM frequents this forum under the name Karizma, I am doooooooooomed

Ouch! Sorry man.
How's that new character coming along? :)

Seriously, this reminds me where our GM said "What, you're going to do what?"
"Sure", I  replied. "I think my 1st lvl Magician can take these two (highly trained guards of the night watch that are trusted to defend Laketown) goons!"

Later I was caught saying "Oh, so that's how the system works.."   ;D
Obviously, I had missed a subtle hint.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »

KARIZMA, EASE OFF MAN!! YOUR A MADMAN!!!

There. Was that subtle enough?

;)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Bojangles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
Hah, he just shakes his head and smiles

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:35 AM »
think Herbs.... they will save you alot of PP usage and if all the party members bucks up their herbcraft for one level of DPs it can do wonders in finding the better healing herbs.

Well right now we're at the bottom of a deep shaft, fighting undead and hobgoblins, one of our group is at -50 and about half health, others are somewhere inbetween or at full health, I (the cleric) am down to only 20 PP's and am at lvl 2 trying to use my healing spells sparingly. I have life-keeping but that's not what I want to use in this situation, it would be a witch trying to climb our ladder with an unconcious member.
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »

Don't worry, Karizma is notorious on these forums for being a madman!  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.