Author Topic: Sleeping vs Sleep-like activities  (Read 4840 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sleeping vs Sleep-like activities
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
The fact that it was shrapnel in the guys head was incidental.  The point was that he did not achieve REM sleep and did not suffer any ill effects.  It is evidence (not proof) that REM is not as important to psychological health as was once believed.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »
Goblynbyte: Care to point me in the direction of any case studies? I'm interested.
I have a couple medical journals with such studies, but no links at hand.  I'll see what I can find, though.

Edit: I have about 150 Sleep Journals.  It would take me a while sift through them.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
We always had 2x 4 hrs in the game to prevent abuse; I think some races were allowed 1/2 time (1x 4hr block) as humans.. at least when we started- probably House Rule.(?)

Any remember the Man Kzin Wars? The psychic kitty wanted to sleep all the time! But that's how they used their power IIRC.

Beggars in Spain is a great story of genemod children and later an entire sect of society that no longer require sleep. Productivity is up 50%. 

Alastair Reynolds' conjoiners are so extreme nanite brained that they no longer require sleep.

Interesting Sci-Fi on the subject..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
The fact that it was shrapnel in the guys head was incidental.  The point was that he did not achieve REM sleep and did not suffer any ill effects.  It is evidence (not proof) that REM is not as important to psychological health as was once believed.
It shows that he has suffered no ill effects but IMO it would be hard to extrapolate that to most people would not suffer ill effects.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
It shows that he has suffered no ill effects but IMO it would be hard to extrapolate that to most people would not suffer ill effects.
MDC
I wouldn't argue that.  Like I said; there is contradictory data.  That's a far cry from proving anything.  The brain is one of the most poorly understood organs in the body, even by those who know the most about it.  Heck, I've read compelling findings that suggest sleep is absolutely unnecessary.  Doesn't mean it is true or that I believe it, just that there are studies that have shown evidence of it.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
The fact that it was shrapnel in the guys head was incidental.
Sure, but my suggestion is funnier!  :P
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »
The fact that it was shrapnel in the guys head was incidental.
Sure, but my suggestion is funnier!  :P
I'll give you that.  ;D
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

IMHO, the more often people outsource their thinking ..., then the less thinking they'll do.. :)

;)
Man!
I could expand on this, but then I would be a bad boy...

;)
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
  ;) ;)
RWW, It does apply to many occasions..  8)

Does Haste and Speed cause insomnia..? Many players love to use accelerants  and dream/divination...
Maybe the two don't work so well together.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »
Semi-random thought along the same theme (although with a change of subject): There was a recent report on the finding of a genetic basis for the amount of sleep needed. In a future setting (e.g., a Spacemaster campaign), humanity could have had its sleep requirement genetically altered down to six hours (or even an Edisonian four).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »
Errrrrr... For notice, I've been continuously sleeping about 4-5 hours a night for the past seventeen years without any problem... ^^;;;;
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »
Errrrrr... For notice, I've been continuously sleeping about 4-5 hours a night for the past seventeen years without any problem... ^^;;;;

That means you've got Edison level sleep genes. Please report to the Genetic Enhancement Authority so that your genes may be replicated for use in the next generation of upgraded humans.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »
Damn. Here I thought I was safe because I was playing RoleMaster, not Paranoïa! Yet, The Computer caught me~ :'(

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 06:52:40 AM »

Post again after your death and tell us what your total life span was.  ;D
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 06:54:55 AM »
Semi-random thought along the same theme (although with a change of subject): There was a recent report on the finding of a genetic basis for the amount of sleep needed. In a future setting (e.g., a Spacemaster campaign), humanity could have had its sleep requirement genetically altered down to six hours (or even an Edisonian four).

There are a lot of really neat examples of alternate sleep mechanisms in nature that can be used as a blue print for such upgrades.  As an example, dolphins sleep with one half of their brain at a time and operate on the other half during that time so that they can keep swimming.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »
Ooo no now I will have to deal with 1/2 dolphin PC's in a space game that do not have to sleep.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Not that it means anything, but when I was in the United States Army, we had a yearly, 3- day exercise where we had to stay awake the whole time... although it would have been hard to sleep anyway, what with all the runnin' around and work...

the first night was the worst and hardest to stay awake through... to me anyway...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc