Author Topic: Fonts?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
Fonts?
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »
Hi,
I've got a "one off" question.  For the core books of RMFRP, what fonts were used to develop the PDFs?

The reason I ask is if I choose to develop my own spell lists, or write my own house rules, I would like to have continuity on that level.

- Kantron
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fonts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »
 I do not know what fonts were used and they may have been converted to PDF by old files from the old ICE. IE the ICE before this ICE.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
I do not know what fonts were used and they may have been converted to PDF by old files from the old ICE. IE the ICE before this ICE.
That was a good answer to give, in order to break the ice, markc. :P
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

Yes but I know from other companies [not here as far as I know] that you cannot give out any info about how a product was created, what fonts were used, papermarks, page layout, etc. The try and guard the info like gold in an bank.
 MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
I have the full version of acrobat, not just the reader, so I don't know if the reader will do this.

However, I can open a PDF and go to File and to Document Properties and it gives me a list of the Fonts used.

So, I went ahead and extracted a page with a spell list from RMFRP (5800) and checked the fonts on that one page and got the following:

BordersE
BordersO
FitzBold
Times-Roman
WorcesterRouT-Bold
WorcesterRouT-Regu
WorcesterRouT-ReguItal

I would presume that these last three are what the actual spell list descriptions were written in. FitzBold might be any of the Bold (at the top of the spell lists) OR the bit where it says Rolemaster down by the edge of the page, I don't know for sure.

In order to be able to more fully answer this question, we would have to get Sherry to find the archive CD that has the pagemaker files, and then get her to open and check each section specifically.

And Sorry, but Sherry is already backlogged with another project, so I am not going to ask her to do that.

I hope that the above helps you.

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
Thanks, it does help.    :)
Also, I agree with you.  When the person "in the know" is backlogged with another project, it is so uncool to ask them to break their work to answer such a mundane question as this.

- Kantron

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
 I do not think the answer is mundane as it can be very important to people and their game.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »

Yes but I know from other companies [not here as far as I know] that you cannot give out any info about how a product was created, what fonts were used, papermarks, page layout, etc. The try and guard the info like gold in an bank.
You totally missed my pun. :'(
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »
OLF,
 Yes I did miss you pun. I think I will blame the miss on my doctor wanting me to go on a diet. Just thinking about a diet makes me lose weight.

Also I think someone might have placed a PDF of the Spell List Doc somewhere in the Vault. If you cant find it I will search my PC if you want me to.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:33 AM »
Speaking of fonts in RMFRP, have those mis-fonted Critical Table Keys in the PDF version ever been updated to the correct fonts?

I purchased the PDFs of RMFRP cores back in early summer 2006, when the ICE online store was not full-fledged yet like it is now. And those files purchased before the advent of RMC Spell Law pdf, IIRC, were all gone and no download links are available for those now.

So, I cannot check the most recent file by myself, but are the Greek letters seen in page 209 and the Key description at the bottom of the crit tables already fixed to the correct Key fonts? If yes, I'd like to get the updated file if so allowed as an earlier purchaser...

(BTW, does anyone know the name(s) of the fonts used for Crit Keys?)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
Speaking of fonts in RMFRP, have those mis-fonted Critical Table Keys in the PDF version ever been updated to the correct fonts?

I purchased the PDFs of RMFRP cores back in early summer 2006, when the ICE online store was not full-fledged yet like it is now. And those files purchased before the advent of RMC Spell Law pdf, IIRC, were all gone and no download links are available for those now.

So, I cannot check the most recent file by myself, but are the Greek letters seen in page 209 and the Key description at the bottom of the crit tables already fixed to the correct Key fonts? If yes, I'd like to get the updated file if so allowed as an earlier purchaser...

(BTW, does anyone know the name(s) of the fonts used for Crit Keys?)

I do not know if it has been fixed or not but if I were you I would forward your question to Customer Service to find out.
 I am only a volunteer mod but if you want send me a PM and I can try and get to the bottom of it. But no matter what it might take a while to find out.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

Hello,
I've just purchased the full trio of Spell Law just a couple weeks ago.  For the base question of fixed fonts, I went through a couple of charts in the crit and attack tables and they seemed fine.  If you could give me more specific pages to look at, I'll be able to tell you if they are fixed.

- Darnok

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
I do not know if it has been fixed or not but if I were you I would forward your question to Customer Service to find out.
 I am only a volunteer mod but if you want send me a PM and I can try and get to the bottom of it. But no matter what it might take a while to find out.
MDC

Thanks for your kind response, markc.

Several months ago (in early January, IIRC) in fact I once asked directly to Rasyr by email if it had been fixed. The answer was no, he too didn't think that they had ever been corrected. And another item then added to the long long list of things that need to eventually be done. This thread has just reminded me of that and I wonder if it has been fixed in these months.

...Maybe my above post didn't hit the right time, as Rasyr said, Sherry is backlogged with another project and Rasyr too is engaged with RM Cyradon. (And yes I'd like to see the Cyradon with Rolemaster soon too ;D)

Hello,
I've just purchased the full trio of Spell Law just a couple weeks ago.  For the base question of fixed fonts, I went through a couple of charts in the crit and attack tables and they seemed fine.  If you could give me more specific pages to look at, I'll be able to tell you if they are fixed.

Hi, thanks for your kind reply, Darnok.

The full Spell Law trio PDFs at my hands are also fine. The misfonted Crit Keys I mentioned earlier might be found in your RMFRP core rulebook PDF (#5800P), at page 209, the whole "Key to the Criticals" section, and also at pages 231-241 ibid, in the Key notes at the bottom of the Crit Tables. They are all Geeks, ....uh, no, they're Greeks instead of the Crit Key symbols.

Actually, it's all fine if you are already familiar to the system, but those Greeks, esp. in the page 209, seem to be pretty confusing for beginners (and I, too, got much confused and couldn't understand what the hell they represented when I first read the page. I was a total newbie back then.)

Still, Rolemaster rules even with those Greek letters ;D

Thiha

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:43 AM »

Actually, it's all fine if you are already familiar to the system, but those Greeks, esp. in the page 209, seem to be pretty confusing for beginners

Thiha

The Greek is still there.  I could figure out what it all means because I'm rather familiar with formulas.  However, I can see how someone who has never worked with it before would be confused.

- Darnok

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:10:07 PM »
The Greek is still there.

〃 ̄ ∇)ゞThaaanks Darnok ♪