Author Topic: Moving AND attacking in the same phase of the round  (Read 2054 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Moving AND attacking in the same phase of the round
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:15:47 AM »
Hi

I thought I was pretty clear on the phases in a round until one of the characters wanted to move away from combat.

Now, I have in my head the max actions in a round is 3 and that means a max of 1 action per phase. If you don't specify a 'press and melee' action which includes a 10' movement, are you stuck with having to move each time trying to engage?

For example - Orc wants to attack PC. In the snap phase, the orc moves to the PC (as he had a higher initiative) and the PC moves away in his snap. Then it's the Normal phase where they're the same distance apart as they were in the Snap phase but further down the map. Now that could go on and on.

Obviously I'm missing something very big here. :S
How is that resolved?
Does it count as 'engaging in melee' just by standing next to each other even though no attacks have been made yet (which requires a 25% action of 'disengage...')

Now if the melee attack has started, whoever wants to disengage from melee has a 25% action to do so - does he also need to roll an MM to see if he did it successfully? ...and what's to stop the orc re-engaging the PC again?

Thanks
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Moving AND attacking in the same phase of the round
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
First thing is melee range, which is not zero, which usually resolves that, I think it's 5'+weapon length in FRP. . .so with 4' sword, within 9' you're in melee range.

Next, exiting that area is attempting to break off combat, so if the orc w sword enters 9', then to back off you need to disengage to avoid being attacked.

last, you can move and attack if you execute a charge, which is often the best way to force combat on someone, but risky due to DB penalties.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
For example - Orc wants to attack PC. In the snap phase, the orc moves to the PC (as he had a higher initiative) and the PC moves away in his snap. Then it's the Normal phase where they're the same distance apart as they were in the Snap phase but further down the map. Now that could go on and on.

Obviously I'm missing something very big here. :S
How is that resolved?
Don't know whether there is an official answer, but we allow an attacker that has declared to attack a new opponent to follow this opponent if he is moving away. Of course this reduces the percentage that can be used to attack and if this percentage gets too low the attack might no longer be allowed (since there is a minimum of 60%/80% activity necessary, depending on the type of attack).
Does it count as 'engaging in melee' just by standing next to each other even though no attacks have been made yet (which requires a 25% action of 'disengage...')
I don't think so. IMO the combatants are engaged in melee after the first attack has been done.
Now if the melee attack has started, whoever wants to disengage from melee has a 25% action to do so - does he also need to roll an MM to see if he did it successfully? ...and what's to stop the orc re-engaging the PC again?
IMO a maneuver is not necessary for a successful disengage. But in order to be successful it is AFAIK necessary to have the faster initiative. Otherwise the orc will have the chance to strike at the fleeing PC with side bonus (+15) and no chance for the PC to use the shield or to parry.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
Thanks - that's making more sense now. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery