Author Topic: Spell: Sanctuary  (Read 2005 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Spell: Sanctuary
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:07 PM »
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with the Sanctuary spell. I am especially interested in the the usage of Sanctuary as a way to escape prison.
I've got a character in my campaign who has been incarcerated and is now planing to use the Sanctuary spell as a way out of the cell. As the cell is pretty small, it would be possible to be outside it if you opened a doorway out of the sanctuary 20' away from the initial entry point.
Do you allow that? I do not see anything speaking against it but was wondering what your experience with the spell might be. :)

Additional: Who or what qualifies as "anybody". Can I use the room to teleport a cow to the ethereal plane? Can I still close the room if I am outside and a fly is still inside? What about plants?

Extra: What about the mobile scaling option? Can this be opened and closed without the caster being inside the sanctuary and the risk of scattering? Is an interesting question as this would enable a cleric to give a mobile sanctuary to one of the order's paladins to have a safe sleeping place in the night. (And the cleric does not have to travel along with him.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:24:30 PM by munchy »
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell: Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »
I've got a character in my campaign who has been incarcerated and is now planing to use the Sanctuary spell as a way out of the cell. As the cell is pretty small, it would be possible to be outside it if you opened a doorway out of the sanctuary 20' away from the initial entry point.
Do you allow that? I do not see anything speaking against it but was wondering what your experience with the spell might be.

Yes, it could very well work that way. Remember, however, that the base form of Sanctuary does not move at all, and the base form of the spell will not allow for seeing what is going on outside.

Additional: Who or what qualifies as "anybody". Can I use the room to teleport a cow to the ethereal plane? Can I still close the room if I am outside and a fly is still inside? What about plants?

I would define anybody as "animal intelligence" or higher. Even a cow can learn not to run into barbed wire...

In other words, the "anybody" refers any living creature that can learn or make choices in any capacity.

Extra: What about the mobile scaling option? Can this be opened and closed without the caster being inside the sanctuary and the risk of scattering? Is an interesting question as this would enable a cleric to give a mobile sanctuary to one of the order's paladins to have a safe sleeping place in the night. (And the cleric does not have to travel along with him.)

Yes, that is essentially correct. However, remember the spell only lasts 24 hours from when it is cast. And it is a -30 to the casting roll for each additional 24 hours.