Author Topic: Shields question  (Read 2411 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shields question
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
Hi to All Folks!
Do shield protect against all foes or only one designed by the defender (like OB/DB)?
Tank IOU!
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shields question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Do shield protect against all foes or only one designed by the defender (like OB/DB)?

[orule]
RMC Arms Law, page 14

A shield bonus may only be used against one opponent's attack(s) per round

[/orule]

This means that the DB from a shield may only be applied against the attacks from one person, but it is applied against ALL attacks (i.e. if your foe is hasted, your shield DB applies against all of his attacks). This comes in very hand against foes with multiple attacks per round (like a number of monsters).

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »
 Why was I thinking it was forward arc?
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
Of course to use a shield in defence you also need to see the attack coming to move the shield to intercept or the attack has to come on the side the shield is sitting, generally on the left arm (except when I use it as I'm left handed so the shield is on the right side.)
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:36:43 PM »

RM2 variant stuff warning

I considered allowing the number of facings covered, on say a hex grid, based on the shield size. Target shield could cover 1 hex facing a round, Normal - 2, Full - 3 and Wall - 4. Generically arbitrary yes, but it had a nice feel to it.

We also allowed shield parry/coverage vs multiple foes if within the correct arc -and- you had OB enough to spread about.

YMMV,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **