Author Topic: Best weapon for non-warriors in RMC (opinion)  (Read 7389 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Best weapon for non-warriors in RMC (opinion)
« on: May 30, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I am referring to pure and hybrd spell casters, who have better things to do with their precious development points than become an uber-grunt. ;D

IMHO, the best weapon for non-warriors is the mace (1-handed concussion).[Does not consider Combat Companion changes to RMC combat]

my reasoning:

• Low fumble range (01-02)
  • Low weight (around 6 pounds, according to ChL)
  • Capable of inflicting 'e' criticals against all 20 armor types
  • Breakage factor of 250+
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Best weapon for non-warriors in RMC (opinion)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »
Quarter staff usually works quite good.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »
Yes, but quarter staff doesn't allow to use shield.

Another very good is the short sword (I like it very much) because balance of all that, adding the low weight, and slash criticals (bleeding  ;D )

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
Consider the rapier then. No E criticals but puncture and it allows you to hit your opponent at fairly low attacks

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
A wooden quarterstaff against full plate mail?  OK, that  fight I want to watch!

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
as to the tables the Q-Staff is the most effective, pound to punch......

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »
Not to mention if the magic wielder has the closed essence list magic staff, it has other purposes.  Storing spells and working as spell adder.

not to mention it does not look like a weapon, thinking of two towers, "you would not take a walking stick from an old man."

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
oh and another option would be the short sword, which is easy to hit with, does ok crits and you get to use a shield...

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:26:36 AM »
My vote goes to the Falchion, better than the mace in everything except fumble range
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
Heavy crossbow, wait for them to get close enough to milk the +30 bonus, shoot them, then hide behind the fighter and cast spells. . . .you'd be surprised how often you can just remove one enemy combatant from play before the fight even starts. . .and you can then justifiably say "Got my one!" and leave the rest to the bricks.

Only disad there is that parry is rough, so the above only applies to someone in a party with 2 or more bricks to step in after your one shot.

Otherwise, it depends on the profession focus.

For a nightblade type, sneaky, often it's the crossbow above, and/or dagger/shortsword.

For the ranger type, lots of outdoor action, I tend to go with a bow and/or a spear (handy for dealing with larger monsters and charging horsemen.)

For more indoor focused characters, the mace or q-staff idea is pretty good (and/or that x-bow).
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »
Rapiers v undead is a short step to suicide puncture crits are least effective as in general they don't bleed. Shortswords are quire versatile. Most of the cultures in my game world use them for their lighter infantry types as well.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
If you werent thinking about a specific weapon then I would have said "numbers". Many knights and even highly trained footmen have overpowered and been dragged to the mud to be killed with mininum resistance.
As for the best weapon I would agree with Arioch and say Falchion. Mace is easier to use though
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
There's no doubt that the Falchion is a better weapon.  I just think someone in the party should be able to do damage with a concussion weapon in case you run into a monster whose stats say "Ignores slash and puncture criticals".

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
I just think someone in the party should be able to do damage with a concussion weapon in case you run into a monster whose stats say "Ignores slash and puncture criticals".
I know e.g. skeletons ignore Puncture criticals, but which monster ignores Slash criticals, let alone Puncture and Slash criticals?

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »
A wooden quarterstaff against full plate mail?  OK, that  fight I want to watch!
It is my understanding that unpadded Quarterstaves were at one time banned by the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) because they were capable of punching holes in Platemail.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
Q'Staff is actually good against full plate - (as would any unbalancing attack that also provides good stand-off and parry capability ... the "forte" of the Q'staff)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
I know e.g. skeletons ignore Puncture criticals, but which monster ignores Slash criticals, let alone Puncture and Slash criticals?

I don't think it is the slash criticals themselves that are ignored but again creatures like undead don't bleed which is one of the main effects of slash hits.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
OTOH undead also can't be stunned, which is where Crush criticals shine...

Offline damilano

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • No, the REDS are tens.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »
Anyone know any specific rules covering the carrying of "inert matter" or "organic matter" and penalties for Essence and Channeling spell-users who sport it?

Seems to me if your (pure) Essence user is lugging around several pounds' worth of falchion, there ought to be some repercussions when it comes time to cast that Fire Ball.  If Zealot the Cleric is cowering behind an enormous shield and attempting to channel from his deity, well, that's fine.  But don't blame me if a fatal channeling projection ensues.  And how about that Monk with the 80-pound rucksack filled with food, clothing, and shelter for 9 weeks, not to mention herbs, gear, and a boatload of coins?  Think his Sly Ears is going to result in anything other than a whopping earache? (-25 to all activity for 1-8 hours).

Clearly, the RM limitations on inert and organic matter are there for play balance.  Yes, we want freedom for our characters to develop as they choose -- "over-archetyped" characters are cardboard -- but we DON'T want a party of Cleric/Fighter/Magic User/Thief/Druid/Ranger/Bard/Ninja/Loremasters mucking about and doing absolutely EVERYTHING.

Do we?

It ain't realistic in life, and it ain't believable in fantasy.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  If you read a novel with a character like that, you'd probably scoff.

Thanks for the rant time.  And let's hear your take on any rules for the abovementioned penalties.

CMC
What do you mean, you didn't buy the Perception skill?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
Anyone know any specific rules covering the carrying of "inert matter" or "organic matter" and penalties for Essence and Channeling spell-users who sport it?

In the core RMC rules, in RMC Spell Law, on page 25, there is a list of "Casting Requirements". If the character does not meet those requirements, he cannot cast spells.

According to this list, an Essence User must have less than 20 lbs of organic material and less then 5 lbs of metal on his person (he must also have 1 hand free, and not be wearing armor or a helmet of any type).

For Channeling Users, the amount of organic material doesn't matter, but he must have less than 10 lbs. of metal on his person (and have one hand free, no metal armor and no metal helm).

If the caster does not meet those criteria, he cannot cast spells, period.

Now having said that, there are a number of options, found on pages 34-36 of RMC Spell Law, known as Extraordinary Spell Casting that, if used, allow casters to exceed those core requirements and still cast spells. Option 10.8 on page 36 covers the modifiers to be applied for equipment carried.

And as always, it is the GM who determines which options should be used.