Author Topic: CC Weapon katas?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
CC Weapon katas?
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:05:11 AM »
When creating a style, can you include both single weapon katas and paired weapon katas? Or any other kombinations for that matter? (Single + 2-weapon or Paired + 2-weaon or all three)
The wording in CC seams to assume that you only pick one kata option but there is no rule gainst picking multiple options?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: CC Weapon katas?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:55 AM »
 IMO single weapon is a kata and double weapon is another kata. But that is just me.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »
Ah, I think you missunderstand me.
I agree, single weapon kata and paired weapons kata are two different things.
Let me make an example.

Ejvyn the weak learns a style
  • Martial arts focus, striking @ 4 pts
  • Single weapon kata option @ 1 pts
  • Paired weapons kata option @ 3 pts
  • Adrenal defence option @ 4 pts
  • Total @ 12 pts
At first level he learns single club kata
At second level he learns paired clubs kata
At third level he learns single dagger kata
At 4th level he learns paired daggers kata
And so on...

Is this legit?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:06:59 AM »
Sort of....

When you add a kata to a MA style, you are adding a specific weapon kata. The character will automatically know that specific kata when the style is acquired, even if he doesn't yet meet the rank requirements (he won't be able to use the kata until he reaches the rank requirements though).

So the style you detailed above would be

Ejvyn's Style - Tier IV Martial Arts Strikes, Adrenal Defense, Club Weapon Kata, Paired Club Weapon Kata.

And when the character learns the style, as soon as he has 1 rank, he can use the Club Kata (and he knows the Paired Club Kata automatically).

The Katas that are part of the style are learned automatically, for free. To learn any additional Katas, the character will have to pay DPs and have the minimum number of required ranks in the style.

So, to learn, the Dagger Kata for his style, Ejvyn will need 5 ranks in the style and have to pay a one time cost of 7 DP.

To learn a Paired Dagger Kata, the character would have to have 5 ranks in the style and pay a one time cost of 14 DP (and no, it doesn't matter if he already has the single Dagger Kata or not, the cost is still 14 DP).

If Ejvyn wants to learn a Two Weapon Kata (2 separate attacks) with Daggers as both weapons, then he needs 5 ranks in the style and has to pay a one time cost of 14 DP.

Every kata that is NOT part of the original style has to be purchased separately using Development Points.

Every kata that IS part of the original style raises the DP cost of the style itself.

Every style that includes multiple weapons (for Paired Weapon Kata or Two Weapon Kata), requires that both weapons be paid for at the time that the kata is purchased (outside the original style) even if one or both of the weapons belongs to another kata.

Is that clearer?

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:04 AM »
Cool  ;D
I had it right... almost.
We've actually payed for the original kata weapons as well so this will make it less expensive. Much appreciated.

Now for the "using of the skill".
Single weapon kata -> Using the martial art without the kata weapon = -20 OB
Paired weapon kata -> Using the martial art without the kata weapon = -30 OB

Having trained i martial arts a large portion of my life I feel these negative modifiers are redundant and not called for.
Still, how do you handle this ruleswise? (We might just house rule against those penalties?)

How much penalty will you have fighting without any weapon?
I can't imagine there is a penalty when you have 1 or 2 weapons?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »
I think that your best way of handling it would be to learn the style without any katas, and then just add the katas on afterward. This way there is no penalty for using the style without the kata.

The penalties are only for when the kata is one of the core components of the style itself (as opposed to being added on later).

At least that is the concept behind that design..

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
Thanks Rasyr, will do.
I think there is only one question left.
The OB mods listed next to the new combat tables.
Do you use them for the weapons katas or do you ignore them?
Let's say I have a nunchacku kata.
Do I subtract the -15 OB mod from my martial arts attack when using the weapon kata to attack?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:19:57 PM by thrud »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
For the weapon katas, remember, you make your attacks on the Strikes or the Sweeps attack tables, NOT on the weapon tables for the given weapon. You then add the bonus hits (from the two kata tables) to the amount given on the appropriate attack table.

Therefore, the weapon mods would NOT apply when using the weapon as a kata.

Now, if you change things so that the weapon kata attack is made on the weapon's attack table, then YES, you would include those modifiers, and you would not use the Bonus Hits.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Ok, got it.
No OB mods.
The thought of using the weapon's attack table never really crossed my mind.