Author Topic: Maxed out skills  (Read 4816 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Maxed out skills
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
Uhm, Thanks everyone for the feedback on what I thought to be a simple question.
I have not been playing RM "for years", but I really appreciate the experience and thoughts of everyone on this board.
If it matters: This topic hasn't come up for me, personally. I merely asked because I thought it could be possible. Even then, it wouldn't upset the game, anybody's game, I'm sure.

I'm not trying to toss grenades here :( 'Just usin' friendly supportive friends for advice and inspiration.

Whew. ::)
Thanks for the feedback!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »
You're welcome  ;)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
Providence, I would gladly answer you, but first I need to understand what exactly your problem is. This is why I asked you what do you mean with "ridiculously" high.
I wasn't joking: how high are the skill bonuses you're talking about, how many ranks more or less? Are we talking of skills bonuses around 100, 200, 300 or even more? Why do you think that characters with such skill bonuses cannot be challenged?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:18:59 AM »
Rule Wise:
I feel that the diminishing returns of skills helps in a large part to resolve the problems with high level characters.  When a 50th level Fighter is deciding where to spend his hard earned DP's (It took 2 million points to get to level 51 btw) he may not be too inclined to spend a hunk of points buying ranks galore to move his OB up a while 2 points.  Higher level PC's are more likely to branch out with skills.  Fighters might learn some magic spells.  (it'll take him 5 levels to get 10 more OB, but a couple levels buying spells and he can get a +10 OB spell)..

In combat a A crit can kill, and a really lucky Kobald with a rusty spook can kill even the highest level knight.

Because of diminishing returns on skills a level 20 fighter can hold off a level 50 fighter reasonably well with heightened parrying.

Story Wise:
To me, a really high level character is kinda like a superhero/villan.  He isn't likely to do run off and do mundane little adventures.  He'll only go into action when the stakes are high... the opponents really tough, and the prize amazing.
If a high level PC is the servant to a lord, think of the PC like a battleship.  Ships so huge and expensive, that while they're (minus aircraft) almost guaranteed to win in a conflict, the loss of one is so devastating that the reward has to be massive to risk it.

Where as the common leveled character (<25) might go on a number of adventures a year, a high level character might only go out every couple years.

When it comes to conflict... high level PC's may rarely fight moderate level opponents.  They may simply step aside, realizing they are no match, yielding way for their high level master to do battle.

The Big Exception
The almighty high level spell user.  Not only can some high level spells get scary, (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) the spell resistance table is based on comparative levels.  Where a level 20 fighter might hold off a level 50 fighter (and three of them pose a pretty reasonable threat) a level 50 spell caster is going to be casting almost unresistable spells on the low level fighters.  3 quick castings of absolutions and a cleric can fend off lower level opponents with relative ease.  (of course if they close to melee range he may be in trouble).
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 05:19:33 AM »
The Big Exception
The almighty high level spell user.  Not only can some high level spells get scary, (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) the spell resistance table is based on comparative levels.  Where a level 20 fighter might hold off a level 50 fighter (and three of them pose a pretty reasonable threat) a level 50 spell caster is going to be casting almost unresistable spells on the low level fighters.  3 quick castings of absolutions and a cleric can fend off lower level opponents with relative ease.  (of course if they close to melee range he may be in trouble).

Come and join the fight!

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8748.0

;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 12:29:15 AM »
I just thought of something (I know! Incredible, in and of itself  :o): you could join the idea of this thread and the "Is magic too powerful" thread by non-magic professions going to the magic game at high levels. As we know, even a few spells of up to 5th level can drastically improve an individuals abilities. (+50s and such to skills are very nice, I'll say.) So you're high level fighter can compete with the mage (somewhat :D).

Now you have places to spend those points, and as spells & PP development are pretty-expensive for non-spell users, it should take a while before they cannot go any further up that route.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.