Author Topic: HB11 condensed combat system and Martial Law tables  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
HB11 condensed combat system and Martial Law tables
« on: May 01, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying combat using a modification of the HB11 condensed combat system and would like a wee bit of feedback on the idea. Essentially each Martial Law hit location has its own armour rating which is used to determine which column of the attack tables is used in an attack. The critical is then rolled on the Martial Law table for that location with no modification for armour (since it has already been taken into account).

Armour doesn't grant additional DB, rather, it provides improved armour rating to the various hit locations. For example, Fred the Rogue likes to run around in light leather armour but appreciates the value of his good looks so wears a full helm to protect his face.

Normally this would give Fred an AR of Soft Leather (on the torso) with +14 DB. Instead Fred has +0 DB from armour and uses teh soft leather column everywhere except the head where he uses the plate column.

Has anyone tried this combat system and if so is it too deadly ?

Cheers
Chris

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HB11 condensed combat system and Martial Law tables
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:09:36 AM »
Sounds promising - isn't this quite Rolemaster-esque? I, at the very least, would be very interested to hear how it goes.

If it's too deadly, you could just raise the base DB (by using 2*Qu + SD + In, e.g., or by giving a flat value based on size: gnomes: 40, humans 30 and so on).
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »
Actually, I was thinking that it was Exactly Rolemaster!

Thirsty, you might like to look a using Arms Law in your HARP games...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Now my experience with Rolemaster is really limited to RMSS/FRP, but to my knowledge this wouldn?t be exactly like rolemaster, but perhaps closer. I don?t know about the newer editions and revisions of rm, but as far as I know about the older ones, they don?t have hit location, per base rules at least. I see a link though, by removing all armour DB from the equation, this makes it more RM-like, the idea is not without merit.
If I understand you correctly, this could actually be quite cool, although I would consider perhaps lowering the hits taken from the HB11 attack tables, to even out the damage taken, since its based on locations, perhaps have a looksie over of the tables to see if the damage difference between the different armour types on the tables correlate well with the ML armour adjustment rules.
I for one could use this idea, but I would personally keep the DB mods from armour.

You should test it out and give us a heads up of how it went.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
Thanks all for your feedback.

My idea was to use the concept that Rolemaster espouses, where armour is "passive" defense and DB is "active" defense but wanted to also integrate the Armour by the piece rules from HARP. I have looked at Arms Law and at the Combat Companion but figured this would be a better aproach.

Janpmueller, I really like the idea of using In in the base DB. Might have to yoink that in any case (maybe Qu+In as base DB). Have an idea point.

Having said that, I currently don't have a group to trial it with. I'm going to run a few of the NPCs from the back of Martial Law to try it out, but that is an artificial setup and wont show all the bugs. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers
Chris

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:46:34 AM »
My idea was to use the concept that Rolemaster espouses, where armour is "passive" defense and DB is "active" defense but wanted to also integrate the Armour by the piece rules from HARP
You would find a lot of friends on this forum if you succeed in that... A friend and I tried to have hit locations (which "armour by the piece" would entail) + armor as passive + critical tables and we didn't manage to get it all together (without ending up with something so complicated it wouldn't deserve to be called "Game" anymore).

The problem for us was that hit location should be reflected in the critical tables, but passive armor should as well... We found you need a cube to display this (or else multiple tables for either (a) each armor class or else (b) each hit location with the other dimension as columns - and you would still have tables for every weapon. That could mean a lot of tables).
In the end, we thought dropping hit locations from the tables (and simply rolling it with 2D6 or sth.) and improvising should the critical hit not match the location was way easier.

Good luck, though, and I'm very interested!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:54:31 AM by janpmueller »
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
An idea I've heard somewhere is that DB is your "not getting hit" statand armor is your "damage soaking" stat.  There's some potential there.  So you do the whole crit thing, but depending on the armor you use it would soak up X or Y of the concussion hits.  Just a thought.

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:19:33 AM »
Hi all,

I ran a quick comparison of the combat systems this evening. I took three basic fighters each armed with longswords and various armour combos. The armours used all had a DB of 40 as determined by the armour by the piece (ABTP) rules in the core rulebook but were as follows:
a.) Full set of chain
b.) Plate helm, plate gorget, soft leather curiass, plate gauntlets, chain bracers, rigid leather greaves and boots.
c.) Plate helm and gorget, plate curiass, rigid leather boots and greaves, soft leather bracers and gauntlets.
The level 5 fighter from ML was used so the base DB for each is 66.
The OB of 99 was split into an OB/DB of 74/25 bringing the total DB to 91
Where appropriate ML hit locations were used

For the HB11 combat, the DB for the curiass was zero as per the thread previously in the forum and the standard half db was applied to the chain set (In hind sight using half DB for each may have been more appropriate)
The DB for the HB11 tests were thus
a.) chain column DB 71
b.) Soft leather column DB 85
c.) Plate column DB 73

For the modified HB11 combat the armour contributes no DB (DB = 51) and the hit location determines the armour column used.

Dice Roll (Crit roll if needed)CoreH&SML a.)ML b.)ML c.)HB11 a.)HB11 b.)HB11 c.)HB mod a.)HB mod b.)HB mod c.)
399H6H------2H3H4H
245H2H--------2H
6816H19H 2S -151S--4H-3H8H6H6H
85(81)18H26H 2S 2B -258H 2S -1018H 3S 2B3H7H5H5H11A (24H 2S 1B -15)15C (31H 3S 1B -20)8H
5312H13H -52H7H7H1H-1H5H5H5H
71(46)16H19H 2S -153H -53H13H -154H-3H8H7H12B (18H -5)

On the whole the damage looks comparable to the core rules, though the variability associated with the critical roll can make a large difference.

Once I can finally get a group together (not easy at the bottom of the world), I'll do a more thorough playtest.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
i just read through the HB11 stuff and the martial arts information is non existant ... and it does look very much like a basic derivation of RM combat tables .. might as well use the RM stuff and call its Rolemaster instead of HARP... looks like the best stuff on earth just keeps getting better.... ha ha.
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Offline dob85y

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:01:02 AM »
My idea was to use the concept that Rolemaster espouses, where armour is "passive" defense and DB is "active" defense but wanted to also integrate the Armour by the piece rules from HARP
You would find a lot of friends on this forum if you succeed in that... A friend and I tried to have hit locations (which "armour by the piece" would entail) + armor as passive + critical tables and we didn't manage to get it all together (without ending up with something so complicated it wouldn't deserve to be called "Game" anymore).

The problem for us was that hit location should be reflected in the critical tables, but passive armor should as well... We found you need a cube to display this (or else multiple tables for either (a) each armor class or else (b) each hit location with the other dimension as columns - and you would still have tables for every weapon. That could mean a lot of tables).
In the end, we thought dropping hit locations from the tables (and simply rolling it with 2D6 or sth.) and improvising should the critical hit not match the location was way easier.

Good luck, though, and I'm very interested!

Have a look at this then

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8007.msg119799#msg119799