Author Topic: Crit Reduction and other Nifty Powers  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Crit Reduction and other Nifty Powers
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
Toying around with some ideas for campaigns that requires powerful beings which interact with the PCs and the setting in general.

What I am thinking about here is Immortals, Chosen Champions by Deities, Demonic/Angelic beings, etc.

Now the oblivious is really high level but am looking for other stats than pure level and powers gained from profession.

Am thinking a general rule would be a high natural AT (not due to scales or such but simply because these guys are more than mortal/mundane), and probably all having at least one level of Crit Reduction.

Any other ideas?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Crit Reduction and other Nifty Powers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
Crit reduction or just make them large/super-large

Immune to stun and/or bleed.

Elemental immunity - to really tick off the magician in the party.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »
 1) Alkar as a allways on ability or maybe they can turn it off or mask it for a time.

2) Negative to all crit rolls or crit rolls of a specific type, ie -75 to all A crits etc.

3) Check out the RM2 Mythic Egypt book if you have it as it has some material in it for Gods and such.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »
Regeneration: Not some lame 1 concussion hit/round thing, real regenerative powers. Free access to all Healer lists (except Transferring Ways), powered by exhaustion points instead of power points. This will make them very durable.

Stat bonuses can also help create supercharacters.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »
Hey thanks for the replies :)

Immune to Stun and Bleed, very nice. Havn?t thought about those.

1) Alkar as a allways on ability or maybe they can turn it off or mask it for a time.
MDC

I don?t regonize this, what is it and where does it come from?

Speaking of Crit Reduction, if you have a major mojo with Crit Reduction 5, he is nearly invulverable right?

Thinking of something like splitting it up between physical and magical Crit Reduction. So one might have Physical Crit Reduction 2, but Magic Crit Reduction 4.
I like the idea of powering healing lists with exhaustion instead of PP.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »
 Alkar is a spell off of a Channeling spell list that gives you +30 DB Aura type presence. I often also use the bonus for social rolls, interaction rolls and other times it might make sense for a Divine aura to affect things.

I think it is in RMSS spell law and I will have to get back to you on the page #.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:02 PM »
Nejira;
 I forgot to mention that Alkar is one of the abilities that were given for most rings of power in MERP.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »
A crit reduction power I used for some special creatures in the past were LA and SL creatures that reduced the crit column rolled against them.  So a slaying weapon would roll on the Holy or Mithrel column against LAII or SLII creatures, which could also be @ or #, Like against the King of Liches, who was SLII#.

If a normal weapon strikes a I, it rolls crits at a -20.  -40 if II.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »
 Ok; Spell Law 1995, Light Law page 12 Alkar rank 30. I also think there might be a more powerful version in RoCo 1 in the high level spell section but I could be wrong.

I also just remembered that I think the Mythic Greece book had some stuff also.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:15:26 AM »
Access to Lion's Heart (10th level spell, Mind Over Matter, Monk Base) could also be a nice way to make them thougher and possibly surprise your players.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:01 AM »
Great, thanks guys for the input.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
  Yes the spells that do not let you go down until you are at -25%, -50%, -75% are huge IMO. And if they do go to -100% maybe they just get shunted back to their plane of existence.
 MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 05:11:59 AM »
You have many options in character law with talents, as many of them are usually not allowed for characters, you can unlock them for those special ones.

Instead immunities (you can't null a character because he is a magician) use resistances, lower or higher depending on character power but always with a possibility of damage. In this point there are special cases, like fire dragon is immune to fire, but not to other elements IMO, although with resistance to others (maybe less against cold). But that depends on each character case.

I think talents covers all cases (including regeneration), if not create your own ones.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
Instead immunities (you can't null a character because he is a magician) use resistances, lower or higher depending on character power but always with a possibility of damage. In this point there are special cases, like fire dragon is immune to fire, but not to other elements IMO, although with resistance to others (maybe less against cold). But that depends on each character case.

C&M states dragons are immune to all natural elements.  We took this to include all magic spells that are elemental bases - all the bolt & ball spells for example.  Exceptions were plasma, ether & nether.  This makes dragons, and our GM, that much more evil.  (I think he would like yamma's column reduction idea)

Keeping with the dragon motif - heightened/magical senses like darksight & able to detect invisible & illusions.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 03:38:04 AM »
C&M states dragons are immune to all natural elements.

I know that, I talk about how we use that information, i.e. the books talks about magical resistance, but there is no resistance number in any place, so anyone must use its own ones.

And, in the case of elemental resistance, the reasonable point for me is that they are immune to their own element, and resistant to others (by their skins), but not immune. Has it much sense to think a fire dragon immune to cold?, IMO, no.

It says natural, and not, magical attacks are not like natural ones, you can see the elemental resistance spells, they make cater immune to natual elements but only apply an OB penalty against magical attacks.

But, in any case, I think immunity and resistance should be used, i.e. a fire dragon usually sleeps in hot places, like a volcano, why not they sleep in an ice cave?, wait, that is place for ice dragons. It has sense, not?. Immune means it sense nothing from it, so why dragons don't sleep in any place and they have prefered sites for it?.