Author Topic: How does [skill] Spell Deflection work?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Skiri

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How does [skill] Spell Deflection work?
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:19:41 AM »
Hello everybody,
im new to forum and this is my first post here!  :)

My question is related to skill called Spell Deflection, it was introduced in Arms Companion. Its described in this way:
This is the ability to block or partially block elemental bolt spells with a shield or similar object. This skill may also, in extreme cases, block elemental ball or cone spells, but the character must be able to get within 20 feet of caster. Even so he gets an additional -100 to his skill roll! The Skill is successful if the final roll is above 200. Upon success the attack is fully deflected. If partial success is archieved (rolls of 100 to 200) subtract 100 from the final skill roll and reduce the spell casters attack roll by this amount.

I havent fully understand how it really works, so anyone have good example how it works?
example howto use it with elemental bolt spell and
example howto use it with elemental ball/cone spells
(because I think I understood that they'll work differently in those circumstances)

I hope somebody can explain it better than describe in Arms Companion. Thanks!  :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How does [skill] Spell Deflection work?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
Please note that the current ICE does not consider this to be an appropriate skill (nor currently an official skill). Arms Companion was published by the old ICE, and the current ICE does have some issues with some of the material published by the old ICE.

It really is quite simple....

Requirements
  • Bolt spells: Must have shield or similar item

• Ball/Cone spells: Must have shield or similar item; must be within 20' of attacker

Special Modifiers
  • Ball/Cone spells: Receives a special modifier of -100 to the skill roll.

Results
  • Total Roll >= 200: Attack is fully deflected.

• Total Roll >= 100 & < 200: Subtract 100 from the result and apply it as modifier against original attack roll total. (i.e. total roll of 130 == -30 to attack roll of attacker).

• Total Roll < 100: Use of skill failed completely.

And that is basically it. Character must meet the requirements for the skill in order to use it. Area attacks have an extra requirement that Bolt attacks do not.

If the attack is an area attack, there is an extra modifier to the skill roll.

Results will fall into one of 3 categories. Either they will succeed and totally deflect the attack. OR they will Partially Succeed and generate a modifier that is applied to the attack roll. Or they will Fail.