Author Topic: Languages Learned  (Read 3184 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Languages Learned
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
The Race descriptions for characters (in RMFRP, Character Law and Races & Cultures) lists starting languages. In the Background options it lists additional languages. What does this actually mean?

Obviously the starting languages are self explanatory. It's these Background languages I'm unclear about.

Does it mean...
  • By using a Background option, you can learn ONE of the languages listed in the Background section up to that listed S6/W6,
  • By using a Background option, you can learn ONE of the components of the languages listed in the Background option section - EITHER the Spoken OR the Written,
  • By using a Background option, you can learn ALL the languages listed in the Background option section,
  • By using a Background option, you can learn ONE RANK in ANY of the languages listed in the Background option section,
  • By using a Background option, you can learn ONE RANK in ALL of the languages listed in the Background option section,

Some of the races only have a couple of background points so there doesn't seem enough somehow.

Thanks. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Languages Learned
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
AFAIK it means that, when spending a Background Option, you can learn 20 ranks not only from the starting languages but also from those languages listed in the Background Options section.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »
Ah - 20 ranks!

That one wasn't even in what I thought the possible options were - shows how off I was!

Thanks Ecthelion. :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Yeah, I weant through my RMSS and RMFRP races and cut way down on starting ranks in languages.  For example, most now have 6/1 in native language.  If they know another language, it will be 5/0 or 4/0 most of the time.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
it also depends greatly on how languages work in games. SOme people like the extra realism, while others prefer to have it not be a concern at all

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
I prefer the concern :)

There's a lot of skills available and each level's DPs get spread so thinly - which I kind of think as more realistic. So needing to spend more on languages as well is nice, after all, it's difficult to learn new languages. If they're travelling all over different cultures, there's always something lost in translation.  ::)

Obviously, any bad guys the PCs meet, are not as strong in the fighting side of things as they would be if I simply encouraged the PCs to stock up in weapon and stalking/hiding skills - so everything is still somewhat balanced.

(and the fact that 2 of the party are my daughters - 8 and 12 - so I'm being fairly lenient too) :P

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »
I could use some feed back on how your game goes.  I'm starting a game with a 13 and 9 year old.  I'm going with Champions, but I like to know what they find interesting.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
Well, my eldest wants all the items and all the treasure - and she's willing to kill for them!

I'm not entirely sure what we did wrong in bringing her up. :P

This is the first time she's roleplayed but she's played a lot of on-line fantasy games (her fav is RuneQuest) where looting is the general idea of them.

We're bringing her back to the 'reality' of roleplaying (if that makes sense).

My youngest loves her Composite Bow since I explained what it was and how it could be made. She's the sniper of the party and one of her talents meant she could re-load and fire in the same round without any penalties. She likes shinny things and pink things as well as taking orcs down.

I asked them after we initially started several months ago what it is they liked about it and/or what they wanted out of it and it's generally the loot but mainly to boost their own abilities and, of course, the levelling up! They like getting better at lots of stuff and because the party is so diverse in race and profession, each character is the best at one skill (or perhaps 2 or 3 skills) and they like being the best in the party at something.

I'm actually surprised just how much they love Roleplaying!

This weekend, I'm introducing them to the 3 phases of a round - I've previously started with a 1 phase round to make things easier for them to pick it up.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:26 AM »
 IMO your youngest should dye her arrow shafts pink or create some special metal or alloy that has a pinkish cast. Another idea would be pink gem/pink lean arrow heads.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Inez Hull

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
Yeah, I weant through my RMSS and RMFRP races and cut way down on starting ranks in languages.  For example, most now have 6/1 in native language.  If they know another language, it will be 5/0 or 4/0 most of the time.

We do something similar for humans - spoken 6 in main language, written equivalent to the tier of social standing (as per the table in RoCoI, which conveniently was 10 categories). For social standing over tier 6 we correspondingly increase the level of spoken.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »
IMO your youngest should dye her arrow shafts pink or create some special metal or alloy that has a pinkish cast. Another idea would be pink gem/pink lean arrow heads.

MDC

queue music: My Little Pony...now with Sniper Arrows of Death!

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »
My Little Pony...now with Sniper Arrows of Death!

:D

I'll have to arrange that for tomorrow's game but in the meantime, we're having fun combining animals for the Chimera contest.

That mythical Wabbit that bald guy keeps looking for (Wolf & Hare)The start of a Basalisk but currently a Lick :P (Lizard & Rooster - Rooster being the only word this forum would accept but it's meant to be a 'Coc*rel' hence the Lick)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
queue music: My Little Pony...now with Sniper Arrows of Death!

jolt

PowerPuff Girls... The Dark Side.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
Mercenary Killer Barbie
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »

I'll have to arrange that for tomorrow's game but in the meantime, we're having fun combining animals for the Chimera contest.

I love the wabbit!  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.