Author Topic: Dragons and elements  (Read 2668 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Dragons and elements
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
Hi to All Folks here!
Are the dragons immune to all elements or only their types?

Tank IOU!
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Dragons and elements
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
I'd go for just their own type (Fire dragon immune to Fire) and have the opposites as Slaying crits or at least a higher crit severity (Fire Dragons being effected by Ice attacks - perhaps resulting in a Slaying crit or using an E crit when the attack has gained a D crit (and an E+25 if an E crit was achieved)).
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline ToM

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Would-be barbarian
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
It surely depends on the setting and level of power your campaign is tuned on.

In low-magic/mytological settings like Middle Earth, dragons are more intended as primeval behemots and are impervious to ALL elements, or at least near invulnerable by nonmagic cold/heat and totally immune to own element type.

In other more magical settings like say Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, expectations on the power of dragons are more mundane. So, even if older specimens may STILL be practically immune to cold/heat AND their own element, younger more common dragons may only be immune to own element.

This is obviously IMHO only and no official ruling about it, simple the way we always handled the matter in our campaigns.
"For no one in this world can you trust, my son. Not men, not women, not beasts. But steel... THIS, you can trust!"

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
It all depends on your world and how you handle dragons there.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
What OLF said.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »
Well, according to RMC C&T Dragons are:

Immune to the elements (fire, ice, light, air, and water)

and that's how I like my dragons: nearly unstoppable embodiments of destruction ;D

But, as ToM said, it really depends on the campaign setting/power level
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.