Author Topic: Is RMFRP dead ?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline chukoliang

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is RMFRP dead ?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
From my point of view RMFRP was always dead. When it first came out, you couldn't buy it in any stores in my area (you could get used RM classic/RMSS books). The one person in my group who actually got some books for it, had to special order the books (you could special order any of the others). It seemed like RMSS just with more books, and not nearly enough rule changes to justify the new product. On top of that, the one guy who bought it had to buy several more books just to have the same core products. Then when the new Iron Crown started up, they seemed to be pushing HARP. Again another product you couldn't buy at least in my area (New England area). And no one I knew had any interest in. It seemed both products were doomed to failure. Now it seems the only products you can buy from I.C.E. is RM classic, and RMFRP. I imagine RM classic has more people interested, but neither product seems to me, as if it will be able to support the company. My group has played RMSS for about 12 years, obviously we will stay with that. And that system seems to be dead as far as I.C.E. is concerned also. I will just have to hold my breath hoping I.C.E. starts selling RMSS again. But until then, I guess I won't be able to buy RMSS products (except maybe on Ebay) and the ICE products I have will have to keep me happy (good thing they are so sturdy).  Too bad to they have the superior product, just not the money and art work to beat down the competition.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »
It seemed like RMSS just with more books, and not nearly enough rule changes to justify the new product.

RMFRP is almost identical to RMSS (it's basically just a revision of the previous edition), so if you play RMSS you can buy the RMFRP version of the ones you don't have with no problem.  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 12:02:37 AM »
Also, RMFRP has School of Hard Knocks, which is my fave RM book so far

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:34 AM »
RMFRP would have been much more success if the RMSS rule book had been all they changed, breaking it into RMFRP rulebook and Charcter Law.  School of Hard Knocks could still have been released and just as useful.  With only two books to buy, and maintaining the now established new RM, current players would have made the change, or at least bought the books, as the value of having the whole game in one book, especially as a draw for new players, is obvious.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
A great way to reduce the books would be either:

Keep spell law as one book

or

Combine each spell book with the companion. So say, Of Channeling and Channeling Companion was one book.

It'd be more appealing to a new player, if the rulebook, character law and gamemaster law was one book too, i think. Though that does raise the cost of entry, but I think most people assume they have to buy all three anyways

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
It'd be more appealing to a new player, if the rulebook, character law and gamemaster law was one book too, i think. Though that does raise the cost of entry, but I think most people assume they have to buy all three anyways

I don't think so, imho it would look quite intimidating...like this one more or less:

;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
NICE PICTURE!  HEHE.

I had a friend that used to do book binding on the side, and he used to make big books like that out of all the "core books" for a RPG.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »
 From what I have been told ICE wanted to make the game easier to buy so it made smaller products. Now I love RMSS and that is what I use and recommend to people, mostly. But there are a few cases where I tell people to pick up RMFRP.
 Also I know nothing as I simply volunteer as a mod.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:47 AM »
Arioch.

Hot

Damn

:D