Author Topic: How do you stop bleeding over 5 hits per round ?  (Read 5685 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you stop bleeding over 5 hits per round ?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »
RMC Spell law p.123, lv4, Clotting V.
This is an interesting spell since it says it can reduce blood loss rate by 5 hits/round. The interesting part is the "reduce blood loss". Basically you can cast this spell any number of times untill the blood loss is down to zero. Of course you'll have to take it easy for a while but the bleeding is stopped.

Besides magic there is (in RMFRP) Second aid or cauterization. (I'm sure surgery would do the trick as well.)

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Someone asked before: I track wounds individually.  Thus, 2 x 3hits/rnd wounds are easier to deal with than 1 x 6hits/rnd.  Blood loss without immediate aid is definitely Something Bad.  I like the idea of carrying magical potions/poultices imbued with various healing spells, too.  Just seems more "real" than eating some nuts.  :p

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »
Someone asked before: I track wounds individually.  Thus, 2 x 3hits/rnd wounds are easier to deal with than 1 x 6hits/rnd.  Blood loss without immediate aid is definitely Something Bad.  I like the idea of carrying magical potions/poultices imbued with various healing spells, too.  Just seems more "real" than eating some nuts.  :p

I also do this as in my game each crit result has to be taken care of and not the total of all results.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »

Of course one should look at each crit individually.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
This may not be how the book says.... but wouldn't a surgery roll open the wound  more (with minimal damage)
and allow access to the artery that can be clamped off?

I'm thinking the extra damage would be minimal.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
(Sorry, a bit more)

Without magic

A skilled surgeon would do only a % of damage- cutting into the wound-that they rolled over 100 as a neg modifier to extra hits; or something...

Also, w/o magic, the penalty may be permanent!
Again the over 100 roll could reduce this penalty by the % over. If you have a -30 on that arm from now on, the skill or luck of the surgeon could reduce it to -20, -10...
There may always be a penalty...

Which could be helped w/ rehabilitation!

Of course this will be beyond most "healers" in this setting, but could be lost arts, hundred(s) year old elves... Probably only in cities...

I'm thinking of the M*A*S*H TV  show. They were better than good. For the time, they were the absolute best.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 05:38:23 AM »
Actually, celts, greeks, romans and persian had a pretty good knowledge of anatomy and were very able surgeons. Guys who were able to perform a cesarean are able to stitch vein wounds too.

Regarding damaged veins and arteries, one may recover from such a wound if it is just "scratched", a tourniquet and a bit of skill is enough. A severed vein is a serious issue that requires an experimented surgeon to stitch and, if taken too late, may call for an amputation. A severed artery means a quick death. Even nowadays it is pretty hard to save someone who receives such a wound. We've got a lot of brawls in Paris suburb that end up tragically because of assholes that hit people with knives in the arms, legs or shoulders to "avoid killing" and actually sever an artery (shoulder hit = death in a matter of seconds).