Author Topic: Staying from Essence Hand  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Staying from Essence Hand
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:34 AM »
Might be going out on a limb here, but within a game context is it important that its scientific correct? IMO, its more important that the general idea of a spell (and any other ability/power) can be delievered to the receiver without misunderstandings and with ease of use within said person?s game.

Not to undermine anyone?s RL skills here, and I understand the thrill of finding something in popular literature using the right terms. I found myself raging sometimes over misconceptions, but its a game and a game should be relatively easy to approach without us non-scientific readers having to look every other term up.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:51 AM »
Might be going out on a limb here, but within a game context is it important that its scientific correct? IMO, its more important that the general idea of a spell (and any other ability/power) can be delievered to the receiver without misunderstandings and with ease of use within said person?s game.

:worthy: :wave: :worthy:

I wholly agree with Nejira!!  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
Well that was the point, the incorrect use of the word "pressure" has been causing misunderstandings for years. No, you shouldn't have to look it up. But if you *do* know what a term means and how it is used, the usage in the spell description shouldn't lead you astray either.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
Might be going out on a limb here, but within a game context is it important that its scientific correct?

Scientifically correct? No. Terminologically correct? Yes. The problem is that we are all making our best guess about what the spell was intended to be, because what was actually written does not have a meaning.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
Was anyone bothered by how, no matter powerful a being, no one was able to instantly cast a non-instant spell? Did anyone create a house rule about the matter?
(FYI I did but I was wondering)

We have used the modifier to cast non-instant spell as a snap action which results for us in using any spell reactively.  I realise that's not exactly correct according to the rules, but that's what we did.  What do you use?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
Following the logic according to which a caster casts spells 3 levels under his own as Class II and spells 6 levels (and more) under his own as Class I, I had merely stated that a caster casts spells 21 levels under his own as instant spells.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.