Author Topic: Profession Choice  (Read 3278 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Profession Choice
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
Hello again all.
(I'm hoping everyone's holidays went well!)

My campaign has started and it's become a great hit - not only with my children but also everyone who was down for the xmas holidays (my wife's brothers and sisters as well as their partners joined in and because of it, 2 of them are wanting to carry on via skype or something similar so we can chat over webcam and they can see the general lay of the land and everyone's positions etc)

There was one person who didn't enjoy it as much and that was my wife.

She doesn't want to be a fighter but she wants to do something during the battle. She doesn't want to do spells that help out other players like 'attack avoidance' etc but she doesn't want to do attack spells either.

I'm at a loss as to what profession to suggest to her.

She was a bard and liked the 'calming song' spell until she found out that she can't do that to people already engaged in combat. She's just a bit miffed that the only thing she was good at was taken away from her.

Are there any character professions that anyone can suggest?   ???
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Profession Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
I would suggest one of the professions from  Combat Companion, perhaps a Venturer....

All three professions from the CC have spells that boost the capabilities of that profession.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:41 PM »
Hi Rasyr

I had a look in the ICE shop and it only lists a Combat Companion for RMC - I'm using RMFRP for our adventures. I didn't think they were compatible.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi Rasyr

I had a look in the ICE shop and it only lists a Combat Companion for RMC - I'm using RMFRP for our adventures. I didn't think they were compatible.

Ah... duh! I didn't pay attention to the category...

Combat Companion is fully compatible with RMFRP, except for the professions...

Sorry..

Look at the Paladin and the Monk professions. Also, look at this files here... http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat19 for some more files and options.

With the Irregular Realms pdf, you could actually go ahead and use the CC professions by selecting the Arms/(magic realm) template, and using the proper spell lists (and selecting a closed list from that realm as the 6th base list).

Offline Kalu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »
She doesn't want to be a fighter but she wants to do something during the battle. She doesn't want to do spells that help out other players like 'attack avoidance' etc but she doesn't want to do attack spells either.

I'm at a loss as to what profession to suggest to her.
How about a Mentalist? Base spell lists like Mind Attack, Mind Control and Sense Control offer numerous subtle or more versatile combat oriented spells than the traditional elemental attack spells. Only real downside is when fighting undeads and similar "mindless" creatures...

Otherwise I'd suggest a Priest built from the guidelines of Channeling Companion (similar to Rasyr's suggestion of using Irregular Realms)

//K
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
 IMO you could adapt the spell list to other professions from the CC to use with a RMSS/FRP game.

What books to do use in your game?

Some of the core professons I would take a look at would be the ranger and the paladin [If they are in the books you have. I know they are in the RMSS Core book but not sure about the RMFRP core book]. In my game I allow the ranger to pick any realm of magic as it just seems right for my game world. I also drop the summoning list and allow the ranger to use the Wyrd Bow spell list that can be found on the guildcompanion.com . Also by allowing any realm it changes the rangers available open and closed spell lists and can have a big change on the PC. IMO you can do many things with the paladin also if you do not have some of the other books that provide you with professions like the warrior mage, armsmaster etc.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:51:52 AM »
Hi Markc - I have a lot of the RMFRP books besides the Armory, channelling companion, the 2 fire & ice books, the construct companion and the Races and Cultures book (hmm, with a list that large, it doesn't sound like a 'lot of the books' after all). The RMFRP includes the Ranger and Paladin professions and although you can change their realm, they're still basically fighters with with the addition of magic.

My problem (which is looking like such an insurmountable problem) is to choose a profession that isn?t a fighter type hacking and slashing, a magic user that casts directed spell attacks or a magic user sitting in the wings simply casting attack avoidance type spells to protect the rest of the group.

I initially thought I was on a winner with the Bard with the Controlling Song spell list - she could use that in battle and also do a bit of fighting if needed but she ended up being incredibly crap at all the skills compared to the other PCs and as I'd found out that the Calming Song spell wasn't allowed on someone already engaged in battle, I'd effectively taken away her only plus point.

I may have won her over with the Mentalist though (thanks Kalu). I hadn?t looked into the pure magic users as I always considered them to be too weak in the early levels (magic users are a new thing for me as I've never got my head around the rules properly but it's looking somewhat clearer now). She's liking the Mind Control and the Mind Attack which are useful in and out of battle.  :)

In the meantime, I need to go through all the pure and hybrid spell user's lists to see all the options.

Thanks all.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »
Use Channeling Companion, chat with her, read the spell lists and build a priest or priestess for her.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
Craggles,
 I think you have a good selection to pick from as the few other professions in the RMSS Essence Companion and the RMSS Mentalism Companion have some great profession IMO none jump out at me for your situation.
 The only other profession that jummps to mind is the seer and IMO that profession can be great in some games and not so great in others.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
Don't forget that there are some usefull skills too that you can use in combat, if you don't have School of Hard Knocks I recommend getting it for more detail on how you can use the skills in RMFRP.

Tactics is one of them, with that you can provide others with an OB bonus. A good tactician could spend most of the time leading the others and granting them a bonus instead of fighting himself, regardless of profession.

I'm pretty sure if you study the skills in the game there are probably plenty of em you could use to help out in combat.
 At first tought Ventriloqism is one of em with that you could probably lure the opponent that he has someone behind him and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:02:18 PM by Chorpa »

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
How about an Illusionist? Confound the enemy with illusions and mix things up with additional base lists from the versatile realm of Essence.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:25 AM »
My suggestion would be Illusionist from the core books or Enhancer from Mentalist Companion...messing with people using Illusions is great fun and it will give her something to do that is not standard support spell user.
/Pa Staav

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »
Some good choices there - they should keep her happy! Thanks guys.

Like I said previously, I'd not even considered any pure/hybrid spell user professions at all - and looking through them now, I was very wrong not to have done so!

The School of Hard Knocks will be studied a lot further too - I'd not thought to use Ventriloqism like that.

On the subject of the School of Hard Knocks book, my copy seems to have a thin gloss laminate on the cover and the pinky/red colour of the border is very vibrant and different to the rest of the RMFRP books (more so than the general colour differences between the books inherent with printing them at different times). This laminate is peeling off very badly along the edges making it look very tatty yet it's one of my most recent purchases. My other books don't seem to have this problem at all and the covers have a matt finish to them. Is this the case with all the School of Hard Knocks books?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Craggles,
 You should send an email to ICE Customer service explaining just what has happened to your book. Also IMO a photo of the book would be worth more than 1,000 words and provide good info to them.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »
Yes, send the info and pics to bruce@ironcrown.com

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Try an Inspiration & Knowledge based character....a Priest or Paladin with Tactics who can direct traffic....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.