Author Topic: Blending Harp and RMSS Combat  (Read 2807 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Blending Harp and RMSS Combat
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:59:55 AM »
Maybe this has been done and maybe just maybe someone has already play tested it and knows the flaws and has addressed them.

I'm thinking of blending an idea I read here with some rules from HARP and with RMSS to generate an easier combat system.

1) Keep the action phases the same from RMSS

2) Hit points from a strike come the tens value of your total offensive bonus used to look up hit points in RMSS. Example. You strike a foe with a 106. Normally in RMSS you look up a 106 under the AT type of the foe. Instead the tens value gives me 10. This is modified by the weapon type (.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and so on). A Broadsword is type 2 so the hits would be 10*2 or 20. I read this idea here and like it a lot. This also means that a value of 10 or higher is a hit.

3) Crits are based on your overall Offensive bonus. An A crit starts on 75 and each Crit bracket spans 15. So 75 to 89 is an A Crit, 90 to 104 is a B Crit. 105-120 is a C crit and so on. Look up crits regularly.

4) Because AT is no longer part of looking up hit points we need to make it a part of the Defensive Bonus. This is from HARP but the values are slightly higher at the higher ATs. So AT 1, 2, 3 and 4 is 0, 5, 10, 15. At of 5, 6, 7, 8 is 10, 15, 20, 25. At of 9, 10, 11, 12 is 20, 25, 30, 35 and so on.

5) Optional. Hit points can continue past the 150 mark. Also the Crit brackets can wrap. For example if you hit with a 250 that would mean an E crit plus a 250-150 or 100 for a C crit.

What are people's thoughts on this system?

Thanks.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Blending Harp and RMSS Combat
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
Monk,
3) I see a problem here as in RMSS it is possible to do damage with no crit if you have a largo OB. The way it is here every time an attacker has a large OB they deal an automatic crit. Also in RMSS its the crits that kill and shif the game dramaticly.
 Also in RMSS very few creatures with animal intelegence put any od there OB into DB so animals will have an unusual amounts of crits per combat.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »
Monk, what should be the benefit of this system?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
Well it seems even RMSS has it where those with high OBs will deal an automatic crit anyways. That is a fighter with a 150OB will most likely get an automatic crit. Most of the hit tables have a crit around an 80 for the lower ATs and 100's for the higher AT. #4 was my attempt at making the higher AT's harder to get the 75. I could make the brackets tighter. Perhaps make them 10 rather than 15. Therefore they would start at 100. Any other ideas?  :)

The benefit of this system is to speed up looking up hits. I find the hit tables a bit cumbersome so to eliminate the hit tables might help make the system a little easier and a little faster.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
 If you are trying to automate the process then your could do something like making the crit range armor ttpe specific. For monsters that have large and superlarge type you might also make the crit range smaller.

I really do not have a comment for the rest of it besides it does make the system faster but you also lose a lot of flavor. I also seam to remember that there was a system like this that another fully automated in the house rules section. But alas I do not remember who it was or the topic name.
Happy Hollidys
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 03:56:48 AM »
Well it seems even RMSS has it where those with high OBs will deal an automatic crit anyways. That is a fighter with a 150OB will most likely get an automatic crit.

That's because RM assume that a character will parry to enhance his defenses: if your opponent doesn't parry it will be relatively easy to hit, but imho that's normal, as he's just relying on his reflexes/armor for protection, without actively trying to defend himself.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.