Author Topic: Attack Spell Runes  (Read 2926 times)

Offline dren77

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Attack Spell Runes
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
I've searched for an answer to this and couldn't find it in the forums or in the rule book. When a mage creates arune for an attack spell like elemental bolt, how in the world is the ob calculated, is it based on the rune skill, is the ranks of the spell added to the rune skill roll? or is a seperate attack roll made when rune is activated? If this has been addressed before I apologize.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Attack Spell Runes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
It's on page 63 of College of Magics. Also page 78 of main rulebook on magical traps.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dren77

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Wht bothers me though is say you have a whole bunch of ranks in arcane bolt, the rune would always just give a +40 for tiny attack. It doesn't seem right that a mage with such a high skill can only make such a low OB rune

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:41:05 AM »
Have your mage get the Rune Mastery spell so that he can improve his attack.

Offline calfret

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
How about instant spells such as bladeturn or deflection?  Can these be made into spell runes and activated on an instant?

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
How about instant spells such as bladeturn or deflection?  Can these be made into spell runes and activated on an instant?

Perhaps, but not something on paper or parchment. I see these runes being drawn on armor or shields... like battlerunes I suppose...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
Runes (and Glyphs, Seals) have to be 'read' to be activated. I don't really see those working instantaneously. BattleRunes clearly allow instant spells - but at very high cost so it would seem that 'regular runes' would not be suitable for instant spells.

I think you have to go with Charged Items, Single Use Items and Daily Items for 'instant' type spells. Those are just 'activated' by the attuned wielder and that would seem to allow instantaneous spells (we certainly do it that way in my campaign). Items being enchanted rings, wands, necklaces, bracers, coins, cards (in a nod to Zelazny), etc. The only problem there is Attunement since even the Single Use Items require prior Attunement . This not a big deal for magic using characters but slightly problematic for the non-magic users.

Of course, this is predicated on the Thaumaturge spending DPs on Arcane Circle [tying into the multi-profession thread] to get access to Bladeturn and Deflections. Typically, during down times, the Thaumaturge cooks up a batch of utility Single Use Items. So with a batch of Single Use "Long Door Cards", "Minor Healing Coins", the non-magic users will likely get lucky and get attuned to some of them.

My campaign is highly magic centered and so the fighter/thieves are actually Shadowblades, Rangers and Warrior Mages and so the Attunement issue is not usually a problem.

Robin

It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline calfret

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
And scaling Battlerunes?  Can this be done?  My question was originally brought on by Counterspell with Runemastery so as to have some PP's set aside to be blown during a mage on mage conflict.  If Battle Runes cannot be scaled then using them for instantaneous spells is almost worthless.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:26 AM »
Remember, the purpose of Battlerunes is to give non-spell users a magical boost, especially during combat, not to help mages in a mage-on-mage fight.

Also remember, the the normal Rune skill cannot scale spells without the use of the Rune Mastery spell.

Therefore, it makes perfect sense that Battlerunes cannot be scaled, especially considering that high ranks in the skill can allow for specific methods of scaling (i.e. increasing attack size one step).

Also, Counterspell was not among those selected to one of the spells that could be used with the Battlerunes skill. Bladeturn and Deflections are among those that can be made into Battlerunes. That fits into the idea of providing a small boost to non-spell users, without making Battlerunes too powerful (or more powerful than regular runes).