Author Topic: Movement and Combat  (Read 5072 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Movement and Combat
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 06:50:51 AM »
We already had many stalking scenarios as well in that session ...and they mostly fumbled

I'd never seen so many fumbles or so many stupidly high crits dealt against them occurring one after another!! :O

But it was only a tester (so their characters aren't dead forever) and I broke them into the combat slowly (phases at all and parrying was introduced half way through) but more and more will be explained as they get used to the bits they've already learned.

As to no more questions...

I'm afraid I was in error :)  Here's one more:

The PCs are used to the awareness/altertness/actively searching skills coupled with stalking/hiding skills and they all have actual numbers associated with them BUT the Orcs/Goblins/bad people in general don't.

When dealing with combat, the Creatures and Monsters book has it all (speed, DB, OBs, hits etc) but there's no info on how good THEY are at sneaking/searching etc.

Is there any way to know that's decided? (and please don't say it's in the 'Races' book as that's one of the only I haven't got) :)

Thanks.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:13 AM »
It's on the Rac... just joking  ;D

Basically, it's up to the GM. Character LaW IIRC has a "master character table" which list the main ability of the various professions, so you can use those as a reference for humanoid races (most orcs will be fighters, goblin thieves, and so on...)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »
ah excellent!

I forgot that the enemy orcs would be normal professions (despite reading the orcs and half orcs in Character Law) :S

One more unrelated question now...
Pole arms
I assume that the pole arms would be used in 2 hands - is that correct? (I couldn?t seem to find that in the various books). The reason I ask this is related to the plethora of miniatures that seem to have pole arms as well as shields (be they heroes or orcs/gobblins) but I would find it very difficult using a large pole arm and controlling it adequately with only one hand. A lance is different as all you need to do with it is hold it steady while your horse deals with the movement.

But, now that I think of it, the Spartans in 300 have a spear/javelin in one and a shield in the other (not that I'm saying the film was strictly accurate) but it may help to prove my thoughts wrong yet again.

:-\

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
 I am glad everyone had fun.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »

Pole arms
I assume that the pole arms would be used in 2 hands - is that correct? (I couldn?t seem to find that in the various books). The reason I ask this is related to the plethora of miniatures that seem to have pole arms as well as shields (be they heroes or orcs/gobblins) but I would find it very difficult using a large pole arm and controlling it adequately with only one hand. A lance is different as all you need to do with it is hold it steady while your horse deals with the movement.

But, now that I think of it, the Spartans in 300 have a spear/javelin in one and a shield in the other (not that I'm saying the film was strictly accurate) but it may help to prove my thoughts wrong yet again.

:-\

Yes! Polearms are normally a 2-Handed Weapon, but I remember seeing an optional rule somewhere that did let you use spears 1-Handed with an OB-penalty so you could use it 1-Handed with a Shield. I think it was in the RMC Arms Law, I'm gonna check when I have the time.

Edit: Found it! It's on page 18 of the RMC Arms Law. The rule let's you use Javelins and Spears one-handed with a -10 modifier on the appropiate table. Not sure if your supposed to apply it to the maximum result also (setting the roof at 140 for the Weapon Table) but it makes sense and I do it. After all it's a huge difference thrusting with 1-Hand then with 2-Hands where you can put most of your body weight behind the thrust achieveing greater penetration. I hope ICE don't mind me posting the rule.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:23:50 PM by Chorpa, Reason: Rules checked up. »

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
Two handed it is - thanks, I was starting to doubt myself! :)

I don't have a need to use them 1 handed - it's just the miniature I've bought for my eldest has the option to use a spear/javlin or a sword in her right arm with a shield in the left. The original plan was to have her using a sword and a shield - but the question came up as she saw the miniature with the option - so no need to trouble yourself with the look-up.

Thanks.  ;D