Author Topic: Special weapons breakage  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Special weapons breakage
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »
First, excuse me the poor english.

In my group are discussing the issue of broken weapons, with the rules of RMFRP.

On the one hand, we want to introduce a new factor that indicates that although a weapon do a check-rupture with success, is damaged. We had thought that the weapon's bonus would be reduced as follows:

1st checkup: -1
2nd checkup: -2, total -3.
3rd: -4, total -7
4th: -8, total -15
5th: -16, total -31 (useless).

Perhaps it is better to reduce the strenght of the weapon? or both?
This penalty could be eliminated fixing the weapon at a blacksmith. What do you think? there is any rule in a book about it?

On the other hand, is the issue of magic weapons, of Mithril, special materials or exceptional properties.
Some in my group argue that these weapons should never be broken, something with which I disagree. According to Treasure Companion, indicated that the Mithril, has a 20 strenght bonus, which already reduces their chances of breakage. Very difficult to break, yes, but not indestructible.

And finally, a weapon that does not pass the checkup of breakage, how do you apply the damage taken? the weapon is totally useless? because there are probabilities to be broken by the handle (example axes) and only change it. We had thought that depending on when it fails the breakage roll, it will break proportional. Example: If you fail by 5 with an axe, only you break the bottom of the handle, you could continue attacking with a -5, but if the failures is 80 the axe would have broken in the header, leaving unusable.
If you fail by 5 with a sword, only break the tip, you could continue attacking with a -5, but if the failures is 80 the sword would have broken in the handgrip, leaving unusable

We wanted to add some rules to give it more realism to the subject of breakage, but we do not want us to slow down or undue complications. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Special weapons breakage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
 I use a house rule that reduces the ST or Rel of the weapon by 5 if the weapon males the roll and if the weapon fails the roll it is broken. Note for bows I have the bow string break but I have thought of requiring the bow to make a d100 roll and on a 01-05 have the bow break.

As to magic werapons I do not let weapons of lower quality have a chance to break weapons of higher quality. But if the weapons are of the same material then I let the breakage roll happen.
 If you are talking about magic weapons and rolling breakage #'s then in the Treasure Companion there are rules for magical materials.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Special weapons breakage
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:16:59 AM »
I would reduce the weapon Strenght by a certain amount (like 1d10) everytime it pass a breakage test.
For each 1/5 of Strenght lost I would give the weapon a -5 penalty.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.