Author Topic: EA Request: How to convert NPCs to use Combat Styles  (Read 2045 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
EA Request: How to convert NPCs to use Combat Styles
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:35 AM »
Another request for one of the Express Additions, how should we handle existing characters that weren't created with the Combat Styles in mind? I'm mainly thinking NPCs. I think a good way to handle this would be to create a couple styles that would be found per race/culture. So for example, the common wood elf would have Style X, the common orc Style Y, etc. And just assume that unless stated, all NPCs of that culture know this style...

Would greatly help without having to do much work for existing NPCs...

-shnar

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: EA Request: How to convert NPCs to use Combat Styles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:09:38 AM »
Or you can have them using basic swing?
Maybe you can spend the time on the extra special NPCs?

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:15:37 AM »
Well, if their Combat Style just used Basic Swing, then they would have spent fewer development points on the skill, and so should have a boost somewhere else.

Really, *I* should go through and create my own styles for each of the cultures in the game, but I'm too lazy :P Plus, I think it'd be great content for an EA :)

-shnar

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »
I made a spreadsheet tool for myself to quickly create styles for my campaign.  City guard, Eastern war veteran, martial paladin, etc. 

It's not up to the standards of the stuff on the vault, but it's a quick and dirty reference for myself, that speeds things up.  You might consider something like that.
Ex post facto.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:37:57 AM »
So for example, the common wood elf would have Style X, the common orc Style Y, etc. And just assume that unless stated, all NPCs of that culture know this style...

Would greatly help without having to do much work for existing NPCs...

-shnar

I think that's a good idea, you also don't have to fully detail racial styles if they're not needed... You can simply give each NPC race a couple of maneuvers: orcs could use Offensive Strike and Sacrifice Strike, goblins could have Block and Killing Strike, and so on
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
I also like the idea of maybe restricting combat styles to your culture. Having actually used them, if I can choose my style, the ONLY thing I'll take from now on is Defensive Block and Sacrifice Strike. That's it, I see little reason to get anything else, except for roleplaying purposes (i.e. this culture emphasizes XYZ maneuver).

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
Ideally, the GM will create styles for the different cultures.

For example, in the RMC Cyradon that is being worked on, there are a few generic styles, and then there are a number of Culturally based styles.