Author Topic: Combat Styles: How does Additional Primary Weapon work?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Styles: How does Additional Primary Weapon work?
« on: November 07, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
We redid our characters tonight (yes, we're currently playing, hence the plythera of posts from me ;)) to incorporate the Combat Styles. We love them, btw, but I came across a problem. My character normally uses a spear and shield, but he also uses a scimitar from time to time. When I redid the character, I *completely* forgot about the Scimitar and never created a style that uses it.

So, here's my question. Can I use the Additional Primary Weapon option to add the Scimitar to my Spear & Shield style?

Here's what the CC rulebook says:
Additional Primary Weapon: With this option, the character may select a second primary weapon that will receive full OB from the style.

This option may be purchased outside of the style creation system for (5 + x) Development Points for each additional weapon that is classified as a primary weapon. The x equals the DP cost for a single rank in the style.

Only one Additional Primary Weapon may be purchased each level.

So, what I'm unclear on is whether or not adding this weapon needs to be in the weapon group or not? Can I (when I level next) add a Scimitar to my Spear & Shield style? The option doesn't really say.

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Styles: How does Additional Primary Weapon work?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »
Look at Table O4-03 on page 55.

When you learn a style for an entire Weapon Group, you have to select one (1) of those weapons as the primary weapon (see also "Group Weapon Focus" and "Single Weapon Focus" on page 54).

The purpose of that option allows you to select a second weapon from the same Weapon Group that is associated with the style and use the full OB for that weapon. Ideally, this would be for a style that is learned for the whole group, and not for styles that focus on a single weapon (that being the original intention), but I don't really see a problem with allowing additional weapons from the SAME group being purchased in this manner -- it shouldn't upset things greatly.

For Example - Say you "Spear & Shield" Style is actually a "Pole Arm Group & Shield" style and you selected the Spear as your primary weapon. This option would allow you to add the javelin, pilum, trident, or a regular Pole Arm to the style so that you no longer get the -10 modifier to it or have to spend a week of game time making it the primary weapon.

Another example -- You have the Dancing Scimitar style, it is focused on the Scimitar (a weapon in the Long Single Edged Blades group). You want to add Falchion to the list of weapons that allows you to use foll OB for. You would not, however, be able to add a Long Sword to the Style.  --- Yes the benefit is slightly greater here that it would be for the first example, but I don't think it would cause balance issues.

Does that answer the question?

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:04:04 AM »
It does, I just wasn't sure if the Additional Weapon was limited to the Weapon Group or not. It didn't really say, it just said additional weapon.

Grrr... was hoping I could use my Scimitar again :P

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:32:55 AM »

You could always allow the addition of a weapon from a different Weapon Group for double the cost of allowing a another Weapon from the same Weapon Group (i.e. 10 x [primary cost for one rank in style])

However, the Weapon Groups were done as such because of "the manner in which the weapon was used". Thus a Spear & Shield style uses a weapon much differently then a Scimitar & Shield style would. So adding a weapon from a different group should cost more than adding a weapon from the same group.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:57 PM »
Oh, no, I totally agree that it makes more sense that you shouldn't add a weapon from a different weapon category, just the way that option was worded made me wonder if it was possible to do so and recapture my scimitar skills back. No biggie, I like wacking with my spear anyways.

-shnar