Author Topic: A dragon swings down and... (grapple)  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A dragon swings down and... (grapple)
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »
Looking through the charts and rules of ArmsLaw and while I can find the grapple table it seems like its just another attack option. Not that there is anything wrong with that but lets assume our dragon wants to swing down, pick up one character with its claw and fly off.

How do you do nonlethal grapples, just for restraining a foe not kill/hurt him??

Also on the same/similar subject. Falling.

A: Do you add any modifiers to the fall/Crush table or just roll an open-ended d100?
B: Shouldn?t wearing heavy armor be more severe than wearing no armor on this particular table?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A dragon swings down and... (grapple)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »
Don't forget "the Dragon lands on the party".

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »
Heh, I need to have a character kidnapped by a dragon and figured it was one of the more dramatic ways. Dont want to kill the character tho.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:20:22 AM »
Heh, I need to have a character kidnapped by a dragon and figured it was one of the more dramatic ways. Dont want to kill the character tho.

Make it a Movement & Maneuver Roll then. Allow target to use DB as a negative mod, and the Dragon's OB as a positive mod.

Keeps it simple, and still allows for target to "resist" the attack.

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:23:27 AM »

A result of 100 or more means a grapple?

MMmmm.. interesting.
Good idea.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
I like that. Sweet and simple.

How about the:
A: Do you add any modifiers to the fall/Crush table or just roll an open-ended d100?
B: Shouldn?t wearing heavy armor be more severe than wearing no armor on this particular table?

?

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »
All great drakes possess Spirit Mastery list which includes Sleep spells as well as Word of Sleep (instantaneous sleep). An option is to have the dragon swoop in, hit the target with a word of sleep then grab the sleeping target and fly off with him.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
Don't forget hold person too.

Roll the attack and the crit.  If the crit indicates a hold, target is caught in dragons hold.  If crit does not indicate a hold, then make mnv roll to avoid being held.  A crit PC gets +20, B crit PC gets +10, C crit PC gets +0, D crit PC gets -10 and E crit PC gets -20 to the roll.  Difficulty will depend on circumstance.

Maybe; any attempt to parry a grapply should result in dragon getting a bonus to grapple mnv equal to ammount parried with (assuming parry is with a shield; my thoughs here are PC is placing himself in the way of the dragons attack, thus making grab easier).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »
I like that. Sweet and simple.

How about the:

?

Sorry - forgot that part...

A: Distance fallen is considered to be the OB of the attack. (i.e. you fall 50', so you take a +50 Fall/Crush attack).

B: Simply put, heavy armors also come with heavy padding. So they are as they should be.