Author Topic: EA #8 Combat Style: Double Weapon, is it stackable?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
EA #8 Combat Style: Double Weapon, is it stackable?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
I was reviewing the Double Weapon combat style introduced in Express Additions #8, and was wondering if this was an exclusive style or if it was stackable with other styles, and if so, how does that work?

For example, if you created a style that had both Double Attack and Additional Attack, does this mean that at rank 10, the player can have 4 attacks? And how are the penalties dealed out? Is it -60 to all attacks (as the Additional Attack describes), or only -20, treating the Double Attack as a "single" attack?  And where does the -20 for the second Double Attack get applied?

In other words, is it:
 - Attack 1: -20 to the front swing of the quarter staff
 - Attack 2: -20 to the 2nd front swing of the quarter staff
 - Attack 3: -40 to the back swing of the quarter staff
 - Attack 4: -40 to the 2nd back swing of the quarter staff.

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: EA #8 Combat Style: Double Weapon, is it stackable?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:05 PM »
Look at the wording of the Additional Attack option -- (paraphrased) "for every 10 ranks, the character may make one extra melee attack". This would only give a third attack, not a third and fourth both!!

In putting additional attacks with Double Weapon, the mod for each additional attack would be slightly different. All attacks beyond the normal would get -20 for each attack. AND all attacks beyond the second would also get a -20 (on time) modifier.

Thus, at 10+ ranks you would get
 - Attack 1: -20 (-20 due to "Additional Attack")
 - Attack 2: -40 (-20 for second attack from "Double Weapon", and -20 due to "Additional Attack")
 - Attack 3: -40 (-20 due to "Additional Attack", and another -20 because this is the third attack)

At 20+ ranks you would get
 - Attack 1: -40 (-40 due to "Additional Attack")
 - Attack 2: -60 (-20 for second attack from "Double Weapon", and -40 due to "Additional Attack")
 - Attack 3: -60 (-40 due to "Additional Attack", and another -20 because this is the beyond the base 2 attacks)
 - Attack 4: -60 (-40 due to "Additional Attack", and another -20 because this is the beyond the base 2 attacks)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: EA #8 Combat Style: Double Weapon, is it stackable?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
Okay, adding an attack for the Additional Attack makes sense. What I don't understand though is why the -20 penalty from the Double Attack is applied to the Additional Attack? Shouldn't it be:

Player declares Double Attack with 1 Additional Attack:
 - 1st Attack at -20 (due to the 1 Additional Attack)
 - 2nd Attack at -40 (-20 for the 1 Additional Attack, -20 for the extra Double Attack)
 - 3rd Attack at -20 (due to the 1 Additional Attack).

I mean, the Double Attack doesn't say that subsequent attacks have this penalty, but if that's how it was meant to be, I'll make sure I play it that way.

-shnar
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:24:45 PM by shnar »