Author Topic: Questions about type 'E' spells  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Questions about type 'E' spells
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:30 AM »
1) If it is not an attack spell, do you see correct to use the 'E' column in fumbles (for RMSS/RMFRP)?, we have that is the worst column, so using it if you fumble starting a fire, I see it excesive. Do you see correct using the non-attack spell column?.

2) Initially we have no RR for these spells, so how about casting some spells, like firewall or stone spikes, over a target?, in this case what is better, allow RR, don't allow to cast the spell in that manner, or simply allow cast it because the effect is balanced (it is only 'A' critical, usually the critical is low for the spell level), in this last case you always can use the target skills, maybe using QU for evading the spell if target aware about the casting against him.
IMO the last one could be the best, it doesn't break any rule and uses the characters skills.

I'd like to know other opinions.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Questions about type 'E' spells
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:38:50 AM »
1) Since you are discussing an "Elemental" column, I am going to presume that you are talking about RMSS/FRP which has an Elemental column under the Attack spell heading where RMC has only Attack and non-attack.

If the elemental spell is an attack spell and you fumble it, then you use the Elemental column of the Attack section of the fumble table. If the spell is NOT an attack, then you use the "Other" column of the Non-Attack side of the fumble table.

2) I just made an official ruling regarding this in the RMC forum - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7825.msg101050#msg101050 -- here is the ruling again, as it applies equally here:

Elemental Spells -- Unless it contains the sub-type of "b" or "d", it cannot be cast upon a living target unless the spell description specifically states that it can.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Re: Questions about type 'E' spells
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
About the rule, I'd modify it for spells that takes "some time" to take effect, like clouds or 'call flames', as you can easily avoid it by moving, I think that 'delay' says us that the intetion for those spells is that you can cast them over a target, and then the target can avoid it if it can.

For example, if you enclose a foe in a small room or cell, you could damage it by casting 'call flames', and it would receive the 'A' heat criticals.

In a dark enviroment you could try to use clouds as they are harder to be perceived in darkness.

Etc, etc. as I say IMO that 'dealy' was inserted intentionally for use those spells in special situations, but you can cast them over a target with no RR, as you have chance to avoid it, as you need to join many circunstances for not be able to avoid it (as can't move).