Author Topic: Combat Round for the RMC impaired  (Read 1925 times)

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Round for the RMC impaired
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »
I know the RMC Arms Law has a new combat round which uses % instead of phases.  How many people use this and is it an improvement over the phase system?  I am trying to decide if purchasing the RMC Arms Law is worth this little section.  I own 1st ed, 2nd ed, and RMSS Arms Law.  I am going to use Combat Comp tables (love CC! its about time it got broken down into some logical tables). 
What is everyone's opinion on the new combat round (and if it is an improvement, why was it not included in the CC????
The last thing I need is another Arms law book, dang it!  :(

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Round for the RMC impaired
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
IMHO, the activity percentages are worth the price of admission.  I never allowed haste or slow spells in my campaigns, because there were no logical rules I could wrap my brain around.

With activity percentages, that problem vanishes.  Haste?  You can take actions adding up to 200%.  Slow?  You can only take actions that add up to 50%, or perform a "Full-round" action over the course of two rounds.  Simple, concise, and well thought out.

Also, Arms Law contains bigger critical tables than CC does.  That means you can use the CC tables to generate damage, but read the results off the Arms Law tables.  (More variety)

Anyway, this is all just my opinion.  I'm sure other people will have different points of view.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »
I looked, but it seems the "combat round" isn't in the vault.

Maybe its in RMX or one of the first EAs (so no need for the full book *)
Perhaps someone can verify this ...
___

* OTOH support the best gaming company around !   ;D
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
The new initiative/tactical system can be found in either RMC Arms Law or RMX (this contains a slightly truncated version).

I will check with Bruce about putting just Chapter 3 from RMC Arms Law up for sale as a separate possible product for those who want just that chapter (the initiative/tactical combat round).

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
That would be great if I could get just chapter 3.  Course RMX is not much of an investment either. 
So, where do we think the next gen version of rolemaster will go with combat round?  Like RMC or more like HARP?

Thanks for everyone's input