Author Topic: Comments on the historical campaign books?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Comments on the historical campaign books?
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
Of the historical campaign books (vikings, rapiers point etc) which were good, and which were so-so ?

How much rules crunch do they have versus setting info?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Comments on the historical campaign books?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »
runequester,

I think there was a question like this in the past you might want to do a search for it.

Also http://www.icewebring.com/%20 this address is to Brent Knorrs website that has lots of info on the various books.

I do have all of the various setting books because of some lucky buying and being in the right place at the right time. I have found some to be more useful than others at various times in gaming. Sometimes I like some more than the others but generally I am glad that I do have them.
 I think the only one I do not use that much is Outlaw or look at that much. But the others I look at depending on want I am looking for. Some have more rules than others and some are duel stated for Hero.
 Money wise I do not think I would pay more then $35 US for each of them but then that is me and I am sure that others find more value in some then me.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:47:35 AM »
I've recently purchase "At Raipers Point" and found it fantastic. Definatly worth the price.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
I use the Outlaws book for English-sounding place names.  (especially the "Forest of Dean" section)

I try to avoid Mythic Greece, because of the Demigod stat packages.  (A game with a power level that high makes me queasy)

The  others are all OK if you are seeking information on a certain culture.  I understand that Pirates and At Rapier's Point can be used to make a common campaign setting.  However, I prefer pre-gunpowder settings, so I don't use either book.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
We actually tried the Mythic Greece book (mostly because I was playing with two Classics majors), and we had quite a bit of fun with playing monstrously powerful heroes. The one downside is that the setting doesn't allow as much diversity in terms of the monsters the players can fight or the items the players can get (oh yay... another tripod!), but it can be quite fun for a while.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
 A Mythic Greek note: There is a series of books by Rick Riordan The Percy Jackson and the Olympians that would work very well using the Mythic Greece demi-god stuff. It is a young reader book but IMO a very good read and easily adaptable to a Modern/Fantasy game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline lev_lafayette

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »
I have all of them; I think they are all good, although I readily confess only to making particularly extensive use of Pirates, Mythic Greece and Mythic Egypt. They have a good balance between rules and setting, and also provide several good scenarios and scenario ideas.
RPG Review. Free 'zine. Worth reading.
My livejournal.