Author Topic: Oh where, oh where can it be?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Oh where, oh where can it be?
« on: October 05, 2008, 01:12:05 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm insane, but I know that once upon a time there was a table in Rolemaster for cross-training ranks in some skills.  For example, I think 4 ranks of rowing got you a free rank of Body Dev, and there were quite a few others.

I can't find that table.  I unearthed my old versions of Character/Campaign Law - both the center stapled version and the perfect-bound version, with no evidence in either of them. I found my old notebook of RMSS, separated out into its applicable sections.  Nada.  Double-checked my old RM Companion I.   Zip.

Now, my search is hindered by the fact that I shipped virtually everything else to Brent about 6-7 years ago, since it didn't look at the time as if I would be playing again.  So, here I am looking at RM again, trying to start up a campaign, and I'm down all my past references.

Can anyone tell me if that table exists, and if so, where?  It seems to me that it would have been in a product that came out around 1989 or 1990 at the latest.  Possibly earlier.  Memory might be fuzzy there.

Thanks in advance.
Ex post facto.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Oh where, oh where can it be?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »
Tables in the back of Rolemaster Companion II.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
I was afraid of that.  Thanks.
Ex post facto.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
Probably one of the most useful companions too. Luckily I have the remains of my copy in a file.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »
Boy, those similar skills really wreaked havoc on our character sheets. So many additional skills.

Still, I agree, great, probably the best companion!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
Boy, those similar skills really wreaked havoc on our character sheets. So many additional skills.
Still, I agree, great, probably the best companion!

One word for ya, and many of us know it: Excel!  :D

i <3 Excel
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
Probably one of the most useful companions too. Luckily I have the remains of my copy in a file.

Yeah, useful in a 'power creep' kind of way.  Exactly how many skills can you purchase with 40 primary and 10 secondary development points, anyway?

I did really love the Warrior Mage, but that's been superceded by the Combat Companion.

Aside from RMC I, My favorite companion has to be #3.  The ritual magic rules rock.  Classic literary magic at its best.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »
Yeah, useful in a 'power creep' kind of way.  Exactly how many skills can you purchase with 40 primary and 10 secondary development points, anyway?
Where's that at?
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
It's one of the optional character creation rules.  You can chuck the 'development points from stats' idea and just give everyone 40 development points per level.

Since the extra DP's from secondary skills are always 25% of the primary dp's, that would give you 10 secondary development points per level.

Let me search the PDF real fast....here it is!

Character Law Classic, Page 74.  Optional rules 11.2 and 11.3.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
Since the extra DP's from secondary skills are always 25% of the primary dp's, that would give you 10 secondary development points per level.
oohhh....crap....is this another one of those things that I never read up on thoroughly assuming my gm ran it right or missed when I did read? I've only ever just totaled DP and those were the points to spend on any and all skills. I followed the suggestion in RC2 and give a bonus(33%) to account for the huge addition of skills, but still....Come to think of it, that would balance how I've always disliked how players would take that extra 33% and just rapid develop combat-related skills(probably primaries) and skip all the interesting skills.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »
it's in the book.  I know it's frustrating.  I've been playing RM since 1984, and I still discover new things when I re-read the rulebooks.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Justin -- the thing to remember is that the "rules" are more guidelines than anything else. You are meant to adjust them to suit personal gaming styles.

For example, I have suggested elsewhere the idea of giving +1 DP for every 2 Secondary skills added to the game, up to a max of 50 DPs per level in total. And then, if I subtract primary skills (like Channeling), I don't start counting extra DP until the total number of skills is back up to 28.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »
the thing to remember is that the "rules" are more guidelines than anything else. You are meant to adjust them to suit personal...styles.

Seems Tim's prof is pirate  :hm:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 04:32:15 AM »
At some point we opened this up completely if I remember correctly. We had 20 DPs to be spend on secondary skills but that was far too littler after some time and so you were allowed to spens your normal DPs+20 on all the skills you've got. This was good especially because some of the secondary skills really became more important than those primary skills.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:53 AM »
the thing to remember is that the "rules" are more guidelines than anything else. You are meant to adjust them to suit personal...styles.

No, that is a GM's profession..  ;D

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »
whereas I am a programmer, and rules are rules.