Author Topic: My Rolemaster Companion Woes  (Read 2305 times)

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
My Rolemaster Companion Woes
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
Ok, I've decided to break in my RMC books by writing up a low magic adventure game so I can run for my family and friends(trying to break the GM burnout drought). Problem is that I need skill costs for the sailor, witch, and possibaly a few others that's in relation to a sea fairing adventure. I'm sure RMCII is rare as hens teeth and I certainly don't have the incentive the splash the cash just for a starting adventure. I was originally going to just go with the non-profession skill cost, but I'd really like to do it right in case I want to publish it through TGP.

What are my options?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: My Rolemaster Companion Woes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:24:19 AM »
RMSS/FRMFRP solution to thinks like a sailor character is to group the sailor like skills in a training package that is given a discount. Basically any profession can buy the training package provided they really work as a sailor when they take the training package.

The formula for the discount used in RMSS/RMFRP is quite broken due of failure of taking into consideration the raised cost of the second rank. On the other hand the basic idea works fairly if you calculate the real DP cost for the skills purchased and apply the discount to this cost instead.

/Pa Staav

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »
Sailor is RCIII. Arcane Navigator's list is also in there.
Trader and Witch are in RCII.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
I know you said you don't want to buy anything, but I got RC II on ebay for reasonably cheap... you might want to see if you can find a copy.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
Mentalist Companion has a great TP list relating to sailing.

Sailors are really thieves, fighters and rogues who have skill in sailing, navigation, rope mastery, boat pilot, etc.  I doubt you need a new profession.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:48:42 AM »
@ Pastaav, thanks for the tip, I might end up doing what you suggest.
@ Justin, thanks for the clarification.
@Hurin, yeah I see a couple up for sale at a reasonable price, but the postage cost is the big killer.
@Yamma, point taken.

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers,
Rick.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »
It would depend on whether you think that a TP is the same thing as a profession, or at least an acceptable aubstitute (for me, absolutely not, although opinions vary). On the other hand, the question of whether 'sailor' ought to be a profession at all is a different matter.

On another tack and it would be too late for you, do I recall rightly that the RM2 authors have been contacted and there might be a GuildCompanion re-release?

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:45 AM »
I regard Professions as the pre-disposition an individual finds themself in regarding different skills, like their strenths and weaknesses.  The training packages are their jobs along the way.  Some people learn some jobs faster and are better suited than others.  Just my two silver.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
On another tack and it would be too late for you, do I recall rightly that the RM2 authors have been contacted and there might be a GuildCompanion re-release?
I think there was talk about it but not overly sure if anything has come to fruition, would have to ask Nicholas about that one. Would be nice to see the good parts of the companions rolled into one, mainly cause I'm starting to give RMC a go, and some things in the other compainions I would like to use.