Author Topic: Using Creatures & Monsters with RMC  (Read 2795 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Using Creatures & Monsters with RMC
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
I just wanted to make this post to encourage RMC folks out there to pick up the RMSS book Creatures & Monsters.    The book Creatures & Monsters is one of the finest improvements that RMSS made to the game.    It is basically C&T I, II, and III all rolled up into one (minus the "Treasures" portion).   The way it is laid out is very nice and I find that how each creature description also includes all the creature stats at the top is a great improvement over having to flip between the creature description and the big creature table for each section (as it is in C&T).

Now here's the interesting part....as near as I can tell there's no difference between the monster stats between C&M and C&T.   There *may* be some here and there, maybe more so with the races, but I doubt it.   Check the OB of any creature - they are identical between RMC and RMSS.  The idea of there being substantial incompatibilities between the systems is a myth.  RMSS changed the power balance between CHARACTERS from RM2 to RMSS, not for MONSTERS.   All the tables, stat blocks, etc..in C&M are all exactly the same as in C&T.

I think that most RMC users probably assume that C&M is not compatible with RMC.  This is unfortunate because C&M is the far better book with more info, more complete info, and better laid out info then C&T. 

So if you are an RMC fan and are hoping to get your hands on a C&T II or III...don't bother just buy Creatures & Monsters.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:30:48 PM by Vroomfogle »

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Using Creatures & Monsters with RMC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:18:04 AM »
If I recall correctly there was some minor changes to number of concussion hits on regular animals but none on the monsters...why they even bothered I never understood because you will be hard pressed to find a scenario when the small differences matter at all.
/Pa Staav

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
Are all the creatures from C&T III in the RMSS Creatures and Monsters book?  For some reason I thought it just had the creatures from C&T I and II.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
You may be right, I thought I had read that C&T III was in there.   But you'd be the one to know Brent!   I actually don't seem to have a copy of C&T III anymore.

pastaav, since Animals come first in RM2's C&T and RMSS C&M my suspicion is that they started to convert them to RMSS then said " $%#&*@ this !!, it doesn't matter enough! "

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
I'll have to dig mine out and check. I'm just going by memory of some older postings but I don't thing I've actually ever verified it.  I'll post my findings.
Brent Knorr...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »
I took a quick look through my PDF's and I'm pretty sure that the Creatures in C&T III are not included in Creatures and Monsters, which is also supported by this statement on the first page of Creatures and Monsters:
COMPILATION NOTE: This product is a compilation as well a revision. Some of the material is the same as material published in Creatures & Treasures, Creatures & Treasures II, and various Rolemaster Companions. However, much of the game statistic information has been modified to align the entries with the Rolemaster Standard System.
Brent Knorr...

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
However, much of the game statistic information has been modified to align the entries with the Rolemaster Standard System.

Well at least this part of the quote isn't true.

I should snag the PDF of C&T III then.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:29:33 AM by Vroomfogle »

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
It would be nice to have C&T III redone in the same style as the RMSS Creatures and Monsters.
Brent Knorr...

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
I have not noticed any monsters in C&M that I had never seen before and I do not have C&T III. In fact, C&M does not actually have all of the C&T I & II monsters, just most of them. (The only omission I've actually noticed is the "Entities from Deep Space" from C&T II, but I haven't done any kind of detailed comparison.) All of the creatures mentioned in the C&T III description on the ICE website are not in C&M.

The main changes are to C&T II monsters that had non-Spell-Law spell lists. These were removed/changed in C&M.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »
Damn....

If I've read before...

I've bought all RMC line.

CC I don't like.
C&M and ARMS Low from RMSS is already in my library.

I neede only CL and SL from RMC?

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »
I agree with Vroomfogle and would add Treasure Companion to that list. Find C&M and Treasure Companion a much better buy even for RMC players. I think the treasure system in TC is way better than the one in C&T. And with those 2 books you get everything and more of whats included in C&T.

As for the Power Points in C&M to bring them more in line with whats is in C&T I usually whould divide it by 2 to 4 to get it down to Core RMC values. Don't have the old C&Ts so I cannot compare if it's correct. But it is playable.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
cool I own C&M . So I can either do w/o C&T or wait to get it later.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »
cool I own C&M . So I can either do w/o C&T or wait to get it later.

Yup, for the most part. What C&T does do is to better explain a number of monster abilities.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »
I own C&T III.  Never used it.  Not once.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 05:00:30 AM »
C&M contains more beasts that can I will use in a lifetime...

well, now I have also C&T I'll use the one that I like more ...  :o

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
I'll post pone getting the RMC C&T till later as I have a limited buget. I'll pick up RMC character Law & Arms Law first, when I get to buying RMC.I'll probally get RMC Ex. first.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax