Author Topic: Channeling and metal armour  (Read 4740 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Channeling and metal armour
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »
You know, while we're on the subject of druids and armor.....

It has never made sense to me that druids (as "protectors of nature") would wear leather armor (dead cow).  I can see them using agricultural weapons like sickles and scythes, but wearing dead animal skin?

That's kind of like a Vegan ordering a porterhouse steak, IMHO.

My kind of vegan.

Honestly, cows are like magic.  Can YOU take grass and turn it into steak?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »
There are some cultures that only kill animals for food (or self defense) and then use every part of the animal that they possibly can.

There is nothing to prevent an order of Druids from believing the same thing...

Oh, yes and than there will be quarrels an outstander couldn't understand:

Druids (even eating flesh) vs. vegetarian-druids (only killing animals in selfdefense <enter quote from South Park here>) vs. vegan-druids (no animal products) vs. uber-vegan-druids (only wearing/using/eating things than fall by themself from the plants - BTW what is the AR of a leaves-armor ?).
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
If the Druid Circle has developed magic plants that grow black oval leaves as hard as steel but as supple as paper, then they could have an organic scale AT 13, or even AT 17 easily.

The limits are set only by the imagination.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
The role of "nature magic" priests and wizards in the real world has never been "protector of nature" but rather "protection from nature". I suggest if you make vegan, "living in peaceful bliss with nature" Druids that you rename the Profession to Hippie and leave the Druid name for the fearsome human-sacrificing cultist of pulp adventure.

Historically, the most revered animal spirits are often those of the beasts the culture hunts and obtains food and clothing from. When the survival of your people depends on an animal, it gives that animal considerable importance in your world view.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Archangel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
If the Druid Circle has developed magic plants that grow black oval leaves as hard as steel but as supple as paper, then they could have an organic scale AT 13, or even AT 17 easily.

The limits are set only by the imagination.

this brings to mind the Joke: (oldie but Goodie)

what do you call a Vegetarian with the runs?

a Salad Shooter  :cry1: