Author Topic: What are the differences between RM2 and RM Classic?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline kdyal

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What are the differences between RM2 and RM Classic?
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:29:02 AM »
If someone could enlighten me, I would be most appreciative...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What are the differences between RM2 and RM Classic?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »
 In a short breath I would say that they are almost the same game but RMC has provided up to date rules and comments to FAQ. RMC has also provided a number of house rules in the books as options for your RMC game.
 I have most of the RM2 stuff and some of the RMC stuff and the RMC books explain concepts more clearly with an eye towards common questions and problems.

In a longer breath I would say that RMC presents most of the common house rules of the RM2 game era but if you are joining a RM2 game there might be some difference in your GM's base system. These could be changes of development point costs for skills, spell rules, etc. The attraction to me of RM2/C and RMSS/FRP are the fact that you as a GM can change so many things to shape your game world or shape the PC's in your game world.

BTW, The difference between RMC/2 and RMSS/FRP are detailed here. http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7163.0

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:58:53 AM »
There are a few major differences..

1) Organization -- the books are organized a lot differently. We think that they have a better organization now.

2) Clarity -- We tried to explain things better and in a clearer fashion. We didn't always succeed, but there is an overall improvement. It is also much easier to tell what is an optional rule and what isn't. I know that as the team went through the books, they discovered that many thing that they thought were core rules were actually options.

3) Initiative/Tactical System in Arms Law -- We replaced the old Phase system (which can be found in the Vault for free download) with a new Activity Percentage system. This is in RMC Arms Law.

4) Removed Passive spell type -- All of the spells that were once marked as "Passive" are now either Utility spells or Informational spells. We also improved the explanation of what sort of Informational spells get RRs and such, making it easier to know when such to require such (which was one of the major problems with Passive spells).

5) Added other options to the system.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
I've purchased the 3 core rule books and the bestiary and the combat companion. Bravo! Very good work. I've purchased RM2 in 1990 (the french version).
To me I use HARP for low fantasy setting and RMC for High fantasy " ? la D&D".
I've got the adventure paths (Savage Tide, Shackeld City and Age of Worms) and I will do them with RMC in Greyhawk setting. Not with D&D 3.5 not with D&D 4!
Next month i'll purchase RM Companion I and the Express folios.
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
kdyal,

I am also a RM2 GM/player, and still am. I bought the RMC books to support ICE and to see what they did with the new version. I will always change "the standard rules of Rolemaster" to suit my game and my vision because that has been a great strength of the system since it was released IMO. Given that, a few quick thoughts:

Character Law: An OK revision, the updates here were relatively minor. It tried to make it easier to understand how to make a character, but I know someone unfamiliar with RM who tried and failed without help. It's difficult unless you know what to do despite the changes.

Spell Law: Good update, clarified spell uses and descriptions. I don't agree with about 10% of it, but change as I see fit.

Arms Law: Another good update. Again, I differ with about 10% of the "rules" that were clarified, but it is very helpful.

Creatures and Treasures: Excellent update. What I like most is that it clarifies the abilities of creatures and how they are used. Highly recommended.

Good Luck, Grafton