Author Topic: Adding Races/Cultures  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Adding Races/Cultures
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »
How easy/hard is it to create new races/cultures for RMFRP?
How hard is it to add races/cultures from HARP to RM?

Anybody have any experience in this?... or care to share ideas/thoughts?
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adding Races/Cultures
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
GameMaster Law has a system for creating races.  However, Culture is integrated into the Race construction.  It's done on a point-buy system, rather nice with Character Law.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
Yeah but if one does not have the funds to pick up a copy of Gamemaster Law due to ones second son being born on Friday, August 29th at 1806 (6:06pm for you civilians) ;D, and one is too impatient to wait very long, could an individual make up his own races with corresponding adolescence ranks using existing races as "templates"?

Has anybody done this?
Was it very difficult or rather easy?
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline maikeru

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dungeon Raiders
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
Congrats on the new arrival.

I don't have RMSS/FRP but I believe the bonuses all add up to a certain amount.  I don't think there would be any problem using an existing as a template +5 here -5 there +10 here -10 there etc...  I have done it with HARP and had no problems. ( I know they are quite a bit different but...)

Best of luck to ya, my second just turned nine months this past week, I don't remember the first being like this. ;)

-mike
You are getting sleepy.......

You are getting sleepy.......

Your eyelids are getting heavy......

Your eyelids are getting heavy......
 You will buy more books from ICE......   You will buy more books from ICE......

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
Yeah but if one does not have the funds to pick up a copy of Gamemaster Law due to ones second son being born on Friday, August 29th at 1806 (6:06pm for you civilians) ;D, and one is too impatient to wait very long, could an individual make up his own races with corresponding adolescence ranks using existing races as "templates"?

Has anybody done this?
Was it very difficult or rather easy?

Congrats on the new addition.

You could try and do it like you said but IMO it would be very tough. The race system takes into account stat bonus; hit, PP progression, saves bonus, liffe span, sould departure, stat deteroiration, adol ranks, [e,o,r] skills, talents and maybe a couple of things I have missed and thoes give the race its background options or talent points.
 I am not saying it is inpossible but if when you do pick up the extra rules you might find what you have created is not balanced in some way.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Balance shmalance...I have made dozens of races, including the Giants and Trolls, which need serious tweeking to remain the RM2 feel but express in RMFRP GM Law/Talent Law race creation rules.

Just make what ya want, run it, then make adjustments according.  Good old fashion play testing.  Works every time.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
Thanks all! :)
www.strategypage.com

Offline Phil

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:06:15 AM »
IMHO, it's dead easy to create a new race - and I'd be inclined to disregard the GM system, which is open to tremendous abuse and places undue emphasis on factors that can ultimately be irrelevant. Best thing is to take the existing race that is closest to what you want and just move the numbers around until it fits.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
Here a couple of links to something I created for my world.  Although for my world, they should easily be adaptable to any other world.

Race Generation System

Race Creation Record Sheet

Please note that these aids are made for the RMFRP system.  I don't think they'll work for RM2 or RMC.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
IMHO, it's dead easy to create a new race - and I'd be inclined to disregard the GM system, which is open to tremendous abuse and places undue emphasis on factors that can ultimately be irrelevant. Best thing is to take the existing race that is closest to what you want and just move the numbers around until it fits.

That's exactly what I had in mind! ;)
www.strategypage.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
Here a couple of links to something I created for my world.  Although for my world, they should easily be adaptable to any other world.

Race Generation System

Race Creation Record Sheet

Please note that these aids are made for the RMFRP system.  I don't think they'll work for RM2 or RMC.

rmfr

Wow! Thanks!
I will definately check them out!
 :)
www.strategypage.com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »
Does ICE have any official rulings on changing a races culture?
Can a gnome choose Urban Man?
Can a High/Grey Elf grow up in the Wood Elf culture?
Could a Dwarf have been raised as a Goblin slave his entire life and then escape...

I know people will say "your game, do what you want", but does ICE "officially" have a stance?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
Does ICE have any official rulings on changing a races culture?
Can a gnome choose Urban Man?
Can a High/Grey Elf grow up in the Wood Elf culture?
Could a Dwarf have been raised as a Goblin slave his entire life and then escape...

I know people will say "your game, do what you want", but does ICE "officially" have a stance?

In the RMFRP Races and Cultures book it does exactly does just what you are asking. I do not have the book in frount of me so I can not tell you if it provides a system to create your own. In the past I have used RMSS Talent Law but I also think that there are tables in RMFRP GM Law that you can use to create your own.
 One thing I would recomend is to not let players create there own culture packages but the GM does it. The reason is it is too easy to load skills to what the player wants or fits the players PC better than it represents the culture as a whole. IMO you might also want to not allow such culture's as I grew up surrouned by magic using ninjas in a mountain retreet.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Moderator Mark.
So, if I had a Character Generator Database allowing "by the book races" to choose "by the book cultures", ICE would be ok with me using/freely disseminating said product for which I took no credit of content... 
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
So, if I had a Character Generator Database allowing "by the book races" to choose "by the book cultures", ICE would be ok with me using/freely disseminating said product for which I took no credit of content... 

I am a volunteer moderator for the ICE Forums only and have very little to no contact with the other side of things like copyright infringement. You should send an email to someone at ICE to answer your question. Here is the email address that IMO you should use customerservice@ironcrown.com .
 Just to be safe I would not give away any information or a database in case it falls under copyright infringement until you receive and answer from them.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

Character Generation tools are ALWAYS allowed.