Author Topic: Run Out the Guns versus Pirates  (Read 2032 times)

Offline goeticgeek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Run Out the Guns versus Pirates
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »
If I have Run Out the Guns, is there any advantage to picking up the old Rolemaster 2nd edition Pirates supplement? How does the source material and rules mechanics compare between the two? In Run Out the Guns, character professions are variations of the Rogue Profession, does Pirates have specific pirate professions?

While I have you here, how does At Rapier's Point compare to the above? Is there a lot of rules overlap between Pirates and ARP or does ARP improve on the Pirates mechanics?

Thanks in advance,
ED

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: Run Out the Guns versus Pirates
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »
I have all of those books but it's been awhile since I looked at them.  I'll try and take a quick look over the next couple days and see if I can answer some of your questions.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: Run Out the Guns versus Pirates
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
Keeping in mind that this is from a quick 30 minute review of all three products, here we go:

Pirates doesn't add any new Professions, it just gives a list of Professions from Rolemaster, MERP and Companions I, II, and III that are suitable for use although there are some rules for starting at higher Power Levels, "Leading Man", "Supporting Cast" and "Extras" with the first two categories getting some extra skills and abilities.

From a quick look, I think that "Pirates" and "Run out the Guns" cover a lot of the same material in different fashions.   There is some specific equipment listed, a few skills described, some ships and ship combat rules, a section on maintaining and living on board ships.  I didn't really check to see how compatible the two sets of rules are with each other. 

"Pirates" does have a fairly large section describing the setting and timeline in the age of Pirates as well as several scenarios that could be played out.  These sections take up about half the book and might be worth the investment to get those sections.

"At Rapier's Point" also has a list of Professions that are suitable for the setting, covering Rolemaster, Merp and Companions I,II,III,IV,VI, and VII.  It also adds some new Professions, "The Diplomat", "The Noble De Robe", "The Poet/Actor", "The Religious Dissident", and "The Scientist".  The additional Rules for Firearms and Grenades and Explosives look similiar to those in Pirates but with more detail.  Generally there is more detail in "At Rapier's Point" which is at least partially due to the fact that it is a Rolemaster only supplement whereas "Pirates" covers Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero.  As a rough estimate I'd say around 30% of the material in those two supplements overlaps and the rest is fairly unique.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com