Author Topic: I WANT TO PLAY A DARK ELF AND I HAVE NO STATS / BACKGROUND -- HELP!!!  (Read 4963 times)

Offline clausenegger

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm interested in purchasing Underground Races.  I'm not sure if this is the right resource for me or not.  So, if anyone can steer me in the right direction to a resource, i would be a much happier new gamer!

Cheers!   ::)

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: I WANT TO PLAY A DARK ELF AND I HAVE NO STATS / BACKGROUND -- HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »
Sorry, no Elves in that particular product:
http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/RMSS/RMSS_5541_Races_Cultures_Underground.php

I don't recall any product that has the equivalent of Dark Elves off hand. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:56:56 PM by ob1knorrb »
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
Rolemaster Companion I has them in it.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
RMC I has about a paragraph on dark elves.

Best background for any kind of elven character; stillborn.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
Shadow World has stats for Dark Elves they call them Dyari, you can find all the relevent stats in the Shadow World atlas

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »
Or you could just work with your GM and make them - basing them on "regular" elves (cause the stats shouldn't be too different).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »
First, welcome to the forums!
Then, aren't wood elves the "dark" elves? At least from what I remember from ME?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:25:07 AM »

Then, aren't wood elves the "dark" elves? At least from what I remember from ME?

I depends. The wood elves are all a kind of grey, as they all started their way to the light.
The elves who even refuse to start from their awakening places would be the darkest of them.

OTOH the Noldor (all dark haired  ;) ) wanted to follow the traitor Melkor, drew their newly smithed swords against their brothers and sisters and took the ships with force - how "dark" is that ?
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:27:42 AM »
Dax, you make it seem as if the Noldor were loyal to the Dark Enemy.  They wanted to follow him because he had killed their king and stole the Similrilsthingamicjingys.   They wanted justice and vengence, and let nothing stand in their war.  They were war mongers.

The thralls of Morgoth fit the dark elf story better in the ME stories, but I think most folks think DROW when they think dark elves, not elves seduced to the dark side, or even elves behaving badly.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »
The thralls of Morgoth fit the dark elf story better in the ME stories, but I think most folks think DROW when they think dark elves, not elves seduced to the dark side, or even elves behaving badly.

lynn

Ah! Sorry, when I read "dark elves" I automatically connected them to the Silmarillion thing...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
One on the guys I play with uses "Dark Elves"  in ME.  They were in fact the elves who traveled east instead of west at the time of creation.  They encountered tribes of men in the SA and breed them like slaves killing off the weak and using a program to create a strong set of slave stock who willingly serve their immortal elven lords.  They are the same as Noldor with the Mountan adolescent training package and the mandatory noble TP.

Hope you like it.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
The Avari, or Silvan elves, are the so called "Dark Elves" you describe.  They never went to Valinor or lived under the light of the Two Trees.

OTOH, play it as you see fit.

lynn

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
elves behaving badly.

Sounds intriguing, please tell me more ;D

Isn?t Drow trademarked n all that or is that one of the free for all?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Phil

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
If you're going to try quoting Middle Earth, technically there are two "dark elves":

Avari - the unwilling, those who didn't follow the three kings of elves into the west. They aren't statted out officially, but the closest thing to them is the Silvan elves of MERP.

Eol - the true dark elf, one of the Noldor (IIRC), who was a master smith and created for himself a unique set of pitch black armour and weaponry. Known as "The Dark Elf".

If you want Drow style dark-elf my answer might depend on why, well known as being the munchkiniest of D&D munchkin races :)

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
Dax, you make it seem as if the Noldor were loyal to the Dark Enemy.  They wanted to follow him because he had killed their king and stole the Similrilsthingamicjingys.   They wanted justice and vengence, and let nothing stand in their war.  They were war mongers.

Ups, you are right.
I thought the title of a traitor would be sufficient to explain the motivation of the Noldor.
(No one really follows a traitor or the wrong king, if you follow someone s/he is the legitimate ruler in your eyes.)

But as the Noldor reflected what happened they felt ashamed, thought they weren't worth to return to Valinor.

Nevertheless thanks for clarification.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
If you're going to try quoting Middle Earth, technically there are two "dark elves":

Avari - the unwilling, those who didn't follow the three kings of elves into the west. They aren't statted out officially, but the closest thing to them is the Silvan elves of MERP.

Eol - the true dark elf, one of the Noldor (IIRC), who was a master smith and created for himself a unique set of pitch black armour and weaponry. Known as "The Dark Elf".

In ME - Moriquendi (dark elves): those elves who never saw the light of the two trees of Valinor. They are the Sindar and the Nandor. As oppose to the Calaquendi (Elves of the light) who went to Valinor, the Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri

Also Eol was of the Sindar and was originally part of Thingol's folk in Doriath before he sodded of to Narn Elmoth. He was however, one of the darkest personalities to appear in the Silmarillion.

Elves (in ME) IMO tend to be haughty, arrogant, secretive and more than a bit uncaring about other races....can be a good RPing challenge

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing Underground Races.  I'm not sure if this is the right resource for me or not.  So, if anyone can steer me in the right direction to a resource, i would be a much happier new gamer!

Cheers!   ::)

Although it doesn't have elves (of any hue), I think Underground Races is a brilliant book, and well worth having (especially if you are planning on running any type of underground campaign, or one including any of the races found in the book).

What sort of Dark Elves did you have in mind?

:flame:

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
What sort of Dark Elve do you have in mind?

Shish kebab with peppers, onions and a light blood sauce please  :micro:

lynn

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 11:05:26 PM »
Shadow World has stats for Dark Elves they call them Dyari, you can find all the relevent stats in the Shadow World atlas

If the Dark Elves you want are equivalent to the Drow from D&D then Dyari aren't really that good a match. For a start they aren't an underground race, so they suffer no penalties from operating in daylight. And they aren't evil the way that Drow are, although they have a tendency to not really care too much about the welfare of others :)

Hawk

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Re: I want to play a dark elf and i have no stats / background -- HELP!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
You've got lots of responses, Clausenegger, which is a positive thing about this forum community in comparison to others. Let's hear back from you, give feedback. Is your question answered?

----------------------------
Wikipedia: Netiquette
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx