Author Topic: Spelllist Progression  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spelllist Progression
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »
Been tinkering again ;D

My reasoning for tinkering are that; I dont particular like the difference in the system where other non-contested skill rolls are made against 111 but spellcasting is against 61 (or you add 50 to your roll in RMSS). Also I find that the spellcasting mods are set too high and more aligned with the mods from manuevers (the difficulty mods, etc).

So instead of having spelllist progression being Limited I am thinking about making it based on Combined so it would look like this: 0/5/3/2/0,5.

The Table would look like this instead of table T-4.5:

-26 down: Spectacular Failure
-25-04: Absolute Failure
05-75: Failure
UM 66: Unusual Event
76-90: Partial Success
91-110: Near Success
UM 100: Unusual Success
111-175: Success
176+: Absolute Success

So as with other skill rolls the object is to hit 111 to get a success.

All Spell Casting Mods still apply, the number of ranks allowed learned per level remains the same.

Havn?t playtested it yet but I love to hear any input you may have
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Spelllist Progression
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:04 AM »
Don't know it will work as it is:
A first level mage with a +10 Em stat and 1 rank in a list will have a spell casting bonus of +20 (10+5 for rank +5 for profession) and would need to obtain at least a 76 not to fail, while normally he would have a bonus of +16 and only need to reach a 26 not to fail... that means that the first one need to roll at least a 56, while the second need to roll a 10.  :-\
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
True, I guess it would make sense to say this progression has the bonus of 3 stats as the other skills. With an Essence caster it would be Em (his Realm stat)+ Me (how well he remembers the techniques)+SD (his will over matter). I havn?t thought about including that.

Also you can buy 3 ranks per level so with that in mind it would look something like this:
15 (rank bonus) + 5 (profession) + 20 (combined stat bonus for the 3) for a total of +40.

Now if it was his own base list he would get +10, and its not unfair to assume a 1st lvl caster would employ using both hands in his spellcasting (+5) and loud voice (+10) for a total of +25.

So thats 40+25=+65 so he needs a roll of 26 for a near success and a roll of 46 for a success.

Of course the magician in the other example may get the same bonuses from baselist, hands, voice ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
 You migth also setup a system that each spell has to be leaned to cast with more profeciency. In game speak this means that each spell is now a skill and the mage has to spend DP on the ability to cast it.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
True but I like spell lists and would like to keep ?em ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »
 Actually you keep spell lists you just have the mage get a specific number of free "spell points" [points used to buy ranks in spells] every time they buy a rank in the list. They also can spend DP to gain more "spell points" at some multiple such as 1 DP = 2 SP or 1 DP= 3 SP. I think it will work very well and have thought about using it in one of my games.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.